Default PeerGuardian2 or something similar...

I looked around in the forums and have not been able to anything relating to this so here I go. I've been running PeerGuardian2 on my local PC for longer than I can remember. For those that dont know, PeerGuardian2 blocks huge lists of IPs that have been tied to things such as Spyware, Anti-P2P organizations, Government, etc. I think it would be great if we could either get the source to the linux port of it and make it an app for untangle or if there is a way to add the URLs that the IP blocklists come from to the firewall. Does this sound interesting to anybody else?

mdh

I just went to their web site and made a few observations. First is that its Windows only ... that may mean its tied in to MS-only platform and libraries. Second is that its open source ... that's good. I didn't dig here, but if its "one size fits all", what is the size and how well does it fit. Untangle offers a lot of granularity in each area...would this? Untangle is also trying to maintain and improve performance in a lighter footprint. Would this mean a lot of duplication with a little improvement, or a lot? Would this mean that something else would have to fall by the wayside? All just thoughts, but things to consider. Sometimes I'm my own devil's advocate, so don't take it personally. Let's hear some more opinions!!!

They do state that MoBlock does the same thing and can read the PeerGuardian blocklist format. They claim low ram/CPU usage but I havent actually tested that. I don't know that untangle would actually have to add a new "engine" to perform this task as it seems like something the built in firewall might already be able to do if there were a way to load the blocklist. I know I've done similar things with Windows firewall software so I'm just assuming that the firewall untangle uses can do it too. Of course any new data means more cpu/ram use but who knows exactly how much. If it can use the firewall already in place then there shouldn't be much bloat as far as software. Just whatever the block file takes up and the actual act of blocking connections. Which only people that want to use the option would have to worry about. Does that help at all? -=)
    Last edited by vdsrob; 11-15-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added link.