Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

describe your network layout...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Two internet connections from two different ISPS coming into our Sonicwall Pro3060. The LAN outlet of the Sonicwall connects to the external port of Untangle machine. Lan of Untangle connects to the school lan.

vlans?
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

no vlans

I think it is attack blocker causing my lags. All access is via a proxy and I think attack blocker is throttling it.

Quote Originally Posted by devlin7 View Post
    I think it is attack blocker causing my lags. All access is via a proxy and I think attack blocker is throttling it.
    could be - if all connections are coming from one IP that will happen. The eventlogs will tell the story if this is the case.
    but with this setup not only will attack blocker be wary of that IP, but reports will suck because all traffic comes from one IP.

You could try to add a rule in attack blocker to ignore that IP and see if that helps.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Adding the rule fixed the lag. We need to proxy all internet requests. For one thing we use a user pays systems and usage and charging is done automatically using the SQUID proxy logs and a program called Papercut [awesome product]

Also by using a proxy we effectively kill all torrent clients.
    Last edited by devlin7; 05-04-2009 at 06:29 PM.

To return to the pricing issue outlined at the very start of this thread:

The problem he's got is that he's paying in NZD [same as me] - unfortunately this means that you need to double the USD price to convert to NZD [our dollar is 55c and the banks etc ping you a couple of cents and the credit card company whack you 2% - so lets call it 50c]

However to put it into perspective - the IT support rates charged in NZ are much the same as in the US [like $85-$125 per hour] and our hardware costs [like buying or building an untangle server] are not double; maybe just 20-30% more. - Or to look at it another way a beer here costs about the same as a beer there.

Other vendors in the market - selling similar/competing products/services to untangle - 90% of the time work out cheaper than untangle subscriptions, because they source to the MSP/VAR in local currency, and the vendors are very conscious of the "percieved market value" [perhaps they sell into NZ at a lower rate - hey they are all desparate to sell stuff these days]

The long and short is - Untangle with the professional add-ins etc used to be very attractive when our dollar was 75-80c [a year ago] - now it aint and with everybody being so money sensitive these days - it's a battle to justify at times.

We love untangle and have it installed at a few sites [always the paid versions] - but if we strike a "price sensitive" site or a site that falls just out side of a pricing bucket, [like they have 12 users so have to buy an 11-50 user license] we dont have a snowball's chance in hell when it comes to competing in the price stakes.

I have been using UNTANGLE in production for two days. This is what I have noticed so far.

Our mail marshal SPAM software is not having to stop much SPAM these days because UNTANGLE is doing a good job. UNTANGLE is also producing about 15 - 20 false positives a day.

I have turned off all Sonicwall filtering AV/Antispyware/IPS. We have had 15 viruses stopped at the workstation in two days. Compared to zero in the past 6 months. Clearly CLAM AV is not doing the trick and for those of you thinking that you are safe behind your Untangle box with no AV at your desktop you are mistaken.

I expect the feedback to be that we should be using Kaspersky instead but the moment I purchase Kaspersky at $100 US a month for 150+ users, a commercial firewall becomes far more attractive.

I don't seem to be able to trial Kaspersky to see if it will be any beter than Clam, at this point the Sonicwall filters are being turned back on.
    Last edited by devlin7; 05-06-2009 at 01:28 PM.

What are you classifying as a virus? antivirus xp, ect are not technically viruses, they are mal-ware and may not be included in the signatures.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast