Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    from a non-technical standpoint, i know a few people (non-technical) that just like the idea of a captive portal and are hesitant to switch to untangle because of the lack of this functionality.
    We almost decided to skip UT because of this feature and the lack of a secure bypass, but there are too many positives with UT so we are going with it.

The bypass will be hard to deal with on a daily basis but there is a bugzilla to fix it. Keep an open mind and UT will surprise you.

Lannie

Untangle Ninja

A cool thing would bee if untangle implement vlan.
    And then in the Captive portal you have "Guest Access"
    So when a user hits that it will be forst in to another Vlan and have no access to the other devices on the lan. (hard to have support for all switches) but still it would be a good function.

EDIT:
    A work around would be if the internal network has a alias network and the guest access gives the user a address on that network

We would like to have:
    Network EULA.
    AD support. (check if a user is in the right OU or domain and pass it thrue if not a domain user show the portal)

Maby implement some Nap feature?
    Check if Antivirus or widows update is the latest etc if not then show the Portal page with reason why.

So thanks again Untangle Dev team..

The captive portal I have in place is used for presenting an acceptable usage policy.

However, it would be nice if I could completely customize the page being presented to the client. In this one situation I want to create a form that populates a database of names and e-mail addresses of users that are on the wireless segment.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I would like to offer wireless to the people in my waiting room. I have no idea if this is possible but I would love to see:

- setup wireless access point on my DMZ
    - Have the captive portal autogenerate a random daily password (length would be user specified) and then email me with today's username/password which I would then print out and post in my waiting room. I don't want my staff to have to log into Untangle to pull the password every day so emailing it would solve that
    - set hours for when the wireless access would be available (ie, turn on at 8 am, turn off at 5 pm, off on weekends)

The hours part is easily accomplished with the policy manager already. A randomly rotating password isn't a bad idea for the portal... but it wouldn't be changing any WPA keys.

Also, since this is being talked about seriously, I suggest we take a hard look at the DHCP gui... most people are going to use the CP on a DMZ or non internal network and it would be nice to not have to hack in the second dhcp scope in advanced mode...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I work at a small college and an affordable, easy to use, captive portal would be a great addition for us.

1) Help prevent unauthorized access to WiFi networks
    2) Control Student Access
    3) Allow Guest Access - This is the biggest one! I am CONSTANTLY getting asked about guest access, and have no real good, secure way to provide it.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by zanbaar View Post
    I work at a small college and an affordable, easy to use, captive portal would be a great addition for us.

1) Help prevent unauthorized access to WiFi networks
    2) Control Student Access
    3) Allow Guest Access - This is the biggest one! I am CONSTANTLY getting asked about guest access, and have no real good, secure way to provide it.
    In a school environment, we want the captive users to be on a seperate vlan inside the firewall so they can be filtered. We would not want them on the DMZ.

Lannie

sbl
    Untanglit

I would like to set the DMZ to bridge mode or use a no-rack policy and just present an AU page. I'd also then block outbound DNS requests and force OpenDNS and just use that for web filtering. Don't really want to pay for multiple racks and don't want to virus scan/spamblock WiFi coffee shop traffic.

Glad to see this being considered,

sbl

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sbl View Post
    I'd also then block outbound DNS requests and force OpenDNS and just use that for web filtering.
    sbl
    eww.. I never thought of that. Excellent idea.

Lannie

I think the portal is an Excellent idea!! I am looking for a way to have a few some internal sites have you accept a policy agreement before you enter into the sites. Covering the wireless is a good thing too!

Any way I can help with this let me know (aka - test)!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast