Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah, but again you're counting humans using equipment here not really equipment... UT's licensing rocks in this regard, and incidentally that is why it has no enforcement. There really is no way to enforce a user limit without breaking things.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default Active Users

So, what if your company has 50 employees and only 10 computers. The maximum number of active users would only be 10 so a 10 user license is all that is needed correct. Even with different shifts, etc the maximum would always stay at 10.

NimRod
    Untangle ROCKS..! :D

Yup
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Then, we need to say that a 10 user license covers 10 computers, no printers servers just computers. And if these 10 computers have 5 different user logins only 1 can be on at a time so we are still at 10 users (computers).

NimRod
    Untangle ROCKS..! :D

Master Untangler

Or... for less than $200.00 you can buy your own failover router to support 1-unlimited users. Really works far better, no performance hit on UT (and other advantages) I don't have any client that would want to pay the increased amount just for this, after all the pro's and benefits are weighed against the $$$, downsides. Personally speaking, this should have been made as a freeby, to get the added extras from the business' that will be using this and all the other features. Your typical home user won't be utilizing this feature, so it's free-whoopty-do, what has UT really lost?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by bratsadtar View Post
    Or... for less than $200.00 you can buy your own failover router to support 1-unlimited users. Really works far better, no performance hit on UT (and other advantages) I don't have any client that would want to pay the increased amount just for this, after all the pro's and benefits are weighed against the $$$, downsides. Personally speaking, this should have been made as a freeby, to get the added extras from the business' that will be using this and all the other features. Your typical home user won't be utilizing this feature, so it's free-whoopty-do, what has UT really lost?
    For 25 users, Untangle wants $675 for Wan Balancer (which I assume includes Failover) over 3 years. Figure $350 for a cheap new PC and a 2 extra NICs to run it on, so, $1025.

Or I can go Super, which would be $2997 plus the $350 computer is $3297.

SonicWall wants $1170 for the NSA 240 with a 3 year "Comprehensive" security license. Add $900 for 3 years of Google Postini (which includes secure STMP relay and spooling) and you are at $2070.

So, if I just go by features that the end user will see...what's Untangle doing to justify the $1,300 premium over SonicWall? Remote desktop and PC? Thats free elsewhere or built into Small Business Server. Etc..

I can buy a Linksys RV042 for $149, which does Load Balancing with a reasonable expectation of a 5 year lifespan. So, $149...vs $1,475 ($1,125+$350). Trust me, Dual Wan is required, 6 WANs is, well, not. So, other than 6 WANs, how does Untangle earn the extra $1325?

Charge me $150 ONCE for everything but Support, Upgrades, Backups, Kaspersky, Commtouch, and eSoft. Adding $280 for the "perfect" Untangle PC (Search eBay for "Atom 330 3xGBLAN") puts me at about $450 with S&H. I can justify that to a 10-25 person office. It's a bit of a stretch for the 3-9 crowd.

For the subscription stuff I excluded, I can swing $15 for one, and $10 each additional one, per month.

Thing is, there's a LOT more rinky dink little small fry that can swing those prices than there are places that are going to swing $999 a year to Untangle rather than Barracuda or SonicWall or whomever. At least for the non-3rd party subscription stuff, pricing is within Untangles control, and current pricing leaves a lot of opportunity on the table.

Thing with software, is developement is a more or less fixed cost, independant of the number of units sold. So, the question is, how many $150 sales is Untangle losing, vs how many $2997 ones is it getting? If Untangle is leaving more than say 25 small fry licenses for every large one it gets, it's earning less than it ought to be. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I can only look at my customers and think that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsadtar View Post
    Personally speaking, this should have been made as a freeby, to get the added extras from the business' that will be using this and all the other features.
    Very Good points. Ongoing R&D, Support and cross licensing issues make the cost equation a moving target -- my assumption from a business perspective is that Untangle tries hard to balance the equation fairly -- hoping for a sustainable business model for everyone concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12