Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Dual WAN Pricing

With 6.2 out the door now I'm curious how pricing will be structured for the new failover/load-balancing options. I completely understand the need to charge for the new features because of the licensing costs and all of the work that went into integrating them into the Untangle package. As a home user I can't really justify a monthly subscription to the pro package + loadbalancer. I can however justify a one time fee which would give me access to failover/loadbalancing and maybe policy manager (not a necessity but it would be cool).

I know it would be hard to sell something like this and ensure that businesses wouldn't also be using it rather than a pro subscription (which any business should have just for the Untangle support alone). Maybe you could limit the number of devices that would function behind the Untangle box. Then again with the amount of stuff that connects to the internet at my place (3 game consoles, 3-5 PCs, iPods, etc) it seems that the average power user (anyone who would be running an Untangle box at home) would have just as many devices as a small business.

However, maybe after crunching the numbers on this you will find that it would be a great way to capitalize on those homes/businesses that otherwise would not be purchasing paid apps. I've often toyed with the idea of buying a cheap dual-wan router to run in front of Untangle and it seems that anything decent is around $200. I would much rather give Untangle a one time $150-$200 to obtain that functionality on the same device.

For the last few months I've been running pfSense just for the load balancing. I do think pfSense is a great product but I really miss Untangle and I'm excited to try out the new features. (However everytime I switch back to Untangle I really miss the extra speed of my 2nd WAN connection! ) I also can't justify running a pfSense box in front of my Untangle box for my home connection, or the cost of getting a box capable of running both on ESXi. The power requirements, maintenance of one more box, and the extra heat generated are just not something I'm willing to accept. (my bedroom starts getting rather toasty in the summer) Although I try to justify it to myself quite often, I'm also constantly reminding myself that this it would be complete overkill for my home network and with the current economy I should be more focused on saving money than having the most awesome home network in the city.

I totally understand that you have a business to run and that this may not be feasible. I just thought I would throw it out there as one user's opinion and possibly a way for you to pull in some revenue from installations that would otherwise remain completely open source.

Master Untangler

After checking out the pricing when it was posted yesterday the individual cost of the failover/balancer package is not to bad for a year on the 1-10 user plan. I'm going to have to put it through some testing and see how I like it VS the current setup. The demo videos looked pretty cool though. There are just a few things I'm not sure about.

1) I'm assuming a user refers to any device that has its own IP address? What happens if you end up with more than 10 devices connected? (someone brings over a PC for me to fix for example) Will that 11th device not be able to get access to the internet?

2) Can the balancer/failover module handle 2 connections with the same gateway? Occasionally my 2 dynamic IP cable connections end up having the same gateway address.

3) Do QOS rules apply to all WAN connections? Disregard this one. I found a post by far182 stating that it does.
    4) How are sessions handled? Many sites that have any kind of authentication tend to freak out when you're hitting them from different IPs. Does Untangle have a "sticky connections" type feature enabled by default?

The only thing that may still keep this from being the perfect setup is the lack of UPNP for my xboxes. Without it there is no way to achieve open NAT on both of them. Although I could possibly just set port forwards and have them each use a different WAN connection. A UPNP implementation with the ability to lock it down in a way similar to pfSense would be ideal.

Untangle continues to blow my mind with each new release. I can't wait to get a few minutes to play with the new features. AD Blocker looks awesome! Keep up the good work guys.
    Last edited by Statikk; 05-27-2009 at 07:21 PM.

posted-- 1) I'm assuming a user refers to any device that has its own IP address? What happens if you end up with more than 10 devices connected? (someone brings over a PC for me to fix for example) Will that 11th device not be able to get access to the internet?
    --Statikk

Untangle counts every device as a user, but if one those devices happens to be a printer, xBox or PDA and you add the "11th" device to your network to work on then it will not terminate your internet connection or license.. Untangle works off of the "honesty rule" and they hope that everyone buys the number of licenses needed to keep the project moving. I believe that as long as you don't have more than 10 active devices running at the same time then you should be fine..

NimRod
    Last edited by NimRod; 05-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Untangle ROCKS..! :D

Master Untangler

Glad to hear that. I have a lot of random stuff that occupies IP space: printer, 2 360s, 1 original xbox for xbmc, wireless AP, etc. I have had experiences with other subscription gateway devices where I get called out because some users are having trouble accessing the internet and other resources and it's because they've hit their device limit. (I would like to add that I did not deploy said devices. I have never been a Sonicwall/Watchguard fan. ) I just never wanted to encounter that at home especially since there are really only 2 users here. Just myself and my girlfriend.

Actually User in Untangle sense is really honestly USERS. We're talking PEOPLE here, or rather devices that people sit at. Printers, and the like don't count. It's just workstations and servers.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Actually User in Untangle sense is really honestly USERS. We're talking PEOPLE here, or rather devices that people sit at. Printers, and the like don't count. It's just workstations and servers.
    Actually it's just workstations. Servers don't count.

Master Untangler

What about terminal servers? They're kinda like workstations.

I've been looking at purchasing a super bundle and we would need the 50 user package as we have 3 shifts running so many more user names than computer names and this is what's been having me wonder about the right number of licenses to get. Concurrently we couldn't have any more than 50 users at any given time.

Master Untangler

The way I understand it, you have 50 users then.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by arndawg View Post
    What about terminal servers? They're kinda like workstations.
    I agree. This would be an exception. If it were me I would estimate the averaged concurrent user logons to my terminal servers, and then estimate how much that would grow over the next 12 months. What ever number I believe we would hit in 12 months, would be the number of users I would count coming from that server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast