Default 6.2 and Ad Blocker

IMO the idea of placing Ad Blocker on the server is [brilliant] exactly where it should be insofar as a UTM proposition goes --- unfortunately Ad Blocker is somewhat ineffective running under the auspices of untangle.

Under IE8 and FireFox 3.10 -- very few adds are blocked based on 10 sites I picked at random for a look-see

Under Firefox and Ad-blocker installed as a FireFox Add-on -- adds are effectively blocked for the very same 10 sites referenced above.

For IE8 I use the Proxomitron proxy engine and that is very effective in blocking ads. Please note: if you are using the eSoft web filter the Proxomitron info site is blocked -- you will need to make adjustment to your eSoft pass list.

[EDIT] Apparently when I added http://proxomitron.info/ to my eSoft Pass List -- that did not work [?] --- what i had to do is go to Categories/Manage Lists then under Anonymizer un-check Block after which I was able to view that site. Looks like an eSoft bug. [grrrr]

For now I have removed Ad Blocked from my rack --- hopefully in time untangle will improve how Ad Blocker integrates into the untangle stream.
    Last edited by mozerd; 05-31-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: additional info

Reinstalled Ad blocker in my Rack yesterday -- low and behold a significant and welcome improvement in Ad blocking. Ad Blocker seems to have a problem with the following site removing ads by Google

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security

I'm delighted that Ad Blocker is starting to work well under the auspices of Untangle.

Master Untangler

I installed it in my fresh install from the 6.2 ISO last night. It's an awesome new feature to have. There was no ugly text or anything in place of the adds, just a nice empty box. I watched the recorded webinar yesterday which explained that dynamic removal of the ad + its frame cannot take place because it needs to happen at the browser level (like ABP does in Firefox). To have it just leave a clean little blank space is plenty good enough for me.

Master Untangler

I turned on the ad blocker and saw that it was removing the ads and replacing them with some text about being blocked. I added our own sites to the "pass list" but it's still blocking the ads on our site. How does the pass list work?

JGrubbs, are you sure the ads are actually being served *from* your site and not *on* your site?
    you must list the site that is serving the ads.

check the eventlogs.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by JGrubbs View Post
    I turned on the ad blocker and saw that it was removing the ads and replacing them with some text about being blocked. I added our own sites to the "pass list" but it's still blocking the ads on our site. How does the pass list work?
    When using Firefox 3.10 Browser I do not see the same behavior that you see for most of my test sites - the exception is the http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security site.

When using IE8 Browser I do see the exact same behavior that you see for all of my test sites.

When using Chrome and SRWare Iron Browser I do see the exact same behavior that you see for all of my test sites. For those that are not aware of SRWare Iron Browser -- its a clone of Google's Chrome minus the spyware hooks [optimized for privacy and security] -- a truly superb browser.

When using the Proxomitron proxy engine regardless of which Browser I use or which sites I surf too all the ads are gone.
    Last edited by mozerd; 06-05-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: more info