Thread: Webfilter cost

Master Untangler

Default Webfilter cost

I gotta say. Untangle, you guys sure are ripping people off with that ripoff cost. Just cus you can rip people off doesn't mean you should. $270/year is way too high.
    Last edited by buggs1a; 06-12-2009 at 02:59 AM.

I dont think its a rip off- If ya add all the subsciptions up, most of my clients would gladly pay it for peace of mind and total control of their networks-A solid web filter, gateway antivirus etc.. Now go buy a sonicwall, cisco, zyxel or watchguard product and after the purchase price and subscription costs, that 500 or so a year looks cheap, and i honestly think that the untangle product on a solid box is just as good if not better than the others.

Untangle didn't set that price Buggs... if you think it is expensive to get the eSoft web filter from Untangle you should go try and get it from eSoft. The instagate product that you have to buy from them to get it is a product that directly competes with Untangle... and even if you license the Super Bundle... you're going to spend almost 4x what Untangle wants including the largest server grade box I use to run Untangle!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Wow buggs....just a little off target here. We have 100% Cisco equipment at all of our retails...try paying for THAT !! The bill we get quarterly would make you cry...particularly comparded ro Untangle.

jcy

go checkout websense and then say $270/yr is too high

The eSoft filter kicks the ever living )(*& out of websense. If you don't understand that then go buy the cheaper box.

The price argument is irrelevant... the software is cross licensed. UT has to pay per node for that stuff and they pass it down to us. The margin is far slimmer than you want to think.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Maybe adding a module using Bluecoat would be an option? I know Bluecoat is fairly inexpensive and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by agit8or View Post
    Maybe adding a module using Bluecoat would be an option? I know Bluecoat is fairly inexpensive and works well.
    That is quite possible, file an enhancement request and see if you can get people to vote for it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The eSoft filter kicks the ever living )(*& out of websense. If you don't understand that then go buy the cheaper box.

The price argument is irrelevant... the software is cross licensed. UT has to pay per node for that stuff and they pass it down to us. The margin is far slimmer than you want to think.

The eSoft filter "price" kicks WS but I dont agree in the least about your statement. eSoft and the UT integration are sweet but as long as I am paying maintenance for WS I will NEVER give it up. Yes its very expensive but when UT can do the same as WS and run on a server with no more than 1 cpu and no more than 2GB of ram and still filter 2500 plus users simultaneously without blinking then I will consider it a comparitive product.

I really dont like these blatant comparisons because its apples to oranges. Untangle is a fantastic product (I mean that) and WS is by far one of the best, if not the best content filtering products at market but they are filling 2 different niches.

In my opinion, WS is filling a SMB to large enterprise market (with adequate budgets) and UT is filling a small to SMB market where the cost of WS is unjustifiable. I think this is what you meant but I wanted to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
    I gotta say. Untangle, you guys sure are ripping people off with that ripoff cost. Just cus you can rip people off doesn't mean you should. $270/year is way too high.
    And to the OP... $270 a year is a steal. You need to do some research on comparable products!