Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Web filter disappointing.

I did a new install of UT6.2 today. I have used the program before and been very happy and impressed, but this was the first time that I needed to block some users from having Internet access while allowing others. I wanted block all Internet access from a group of five computers other than what is needed for Microsoft updates to work.

I was very disappointed to find that in the pass list by client IP, I can't specify a range of addresses other than by inputting a subnet range. That's horrible. I should be able to pass clients by typing in a range of addresses, such as:
    192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50. This is a really basic capability that just about every $50 router has.

An equally great and simple idea would be to have a block list by client IP range. This two is something most off the shelf cheap routers offer.

I don't feel that I should have to pay for such basic capabilities.

Your comments please?

Quote Originally Posted by rkinch View Post
    I don't feel that I should have to pay for such basic capabilities.
    This sounds like a personal problem.

Find me a web filter that gives you that kind of control for free? Then after you've done that search and come up empty handed find me a web filter that does it for less than the cost of the policy manager.

You don't find it, supporting UT isn't a bad thing, and it isn't expensive. If you want that kind of control, pay for the upgrade.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I guess we should pay these guys at untangle with thank you's and pats on the back then?

Even better, you go program a module that lets you do what you want it to do, and then donate it to the community when your done.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This sounds like a personal problem.
    Nice response! He actually has a VERY, VERY valid point. Sometimes the most obvious useability is missing or way off the mark in UT.

There is nothing wrong with someone wanting it fixed the way IT SHOULD BE.

If you use this every day, do you want to put in 30 entries, one at a time or one simple entry with a minor web code change?

Lannie

I dont think he does. The policy manager gives you this functionality. Go buy it and be happy.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangle Ninja

Sometimes making a change in the free version can go a long way in keeping customers happy and not always shoving the purchased versions down their throat can also go a long way in keeping them happy. It would be a very easy GUI fix to empliment.

Maybe the better answer would have been, create a bug report on it so we can see how popular of a issue it really is and we will take care of it for you. Not, buy it or go away.

Lannie

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    I dont think he does. The policy manager gives you this functionality. Go buy it and be happy.
    Is it really that hard to change the code allow a dash between ip's and create a range with it???

Lannie

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    Or...he can wait until the next release when it is fixed and be very happy. He will then go tell everyone what great support he got from UT.

Right now he can go tell everyone he knows how he got his butt chewed for asking for a simple fix. Just my 2cents.

Lannie

PS I'm grumpy tonight and sometimes the open source history of this product gets burried behind, tough, deal with it, get over it. oh..and dont forget. give me your money, whatever your name is...money.....yummmmm....money.
    Last edited by lschafroth; 06-11-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by lschafroth View Post

Right now he can go tell everyone he knows how he got his butt chewed for asking for a simple fix. Just my 2cents.

Untanglit

Default Thanks Lannie

I appreciate your support. I think my wording was unfortunate and caused everyone to miss the point. I had just spent 2 hours trying to figure out what I felt was a really basic thing. The Linksys router that I replaced with Untangle had the ability to create a blacklist by IP address in a simple way. Of course Untangle is a much better program. That's why I'm using it. I should say that I really like it in general.

Like you said though, the change that I'm requesting is a very simple one and would provide a great deal of power. I am willing to pay for additional value added. I think some of the extra services are well worth it. This however; I feel is a really basic thing that should be considered an oversight.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast