Untangler

Default Firewall Blocking Inbound/Outbound Best Practices

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to advance firewalls, bascially anything beyond a Linksys router. I am also very new to Untangle, so please be a little patient if my questions sound a bit newbish.

What are some best practices around block all then opening ports in the firewall for both inbound and outbound. My current setup, that i plan on injecting the Untangle into is:

Comcast->Linksys->SBS 2008 Server(which is running DHCP/DNS for network)->Switch->Computers

Should I place the Untangle between the Linksys and the server or replace the linksys entirely? Beyond ports 25, 443, 987 inbound, what should I open for outbound?

I know ther will be multiple answers, I just need to gather data, as I will be implementing my Untangle solution within the next few days. Any insight the community can provide, that will be great.

- I would replace the Linksys with the Untangle.
    - Do you have an SMTP server on the inside of the network? Then you will need to port forward 25 to your SMTP server.
    - What is port 443 used for? If you do port forward 443, it's best to move the Admin GUI of Untangle to another port other than 443.
    - If you internal network is NAT, there is not much reason to block outgoing ports.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I manage several clients that have SBS 2008 and SBS 2011 Standard and use Untangle as the only router.

Ports 25, 80, 443, and 987 are forwarded to the SBS server.

As mentioned, for remote management purposes, I configure the Untangle with a port other than 443.

I also block SMTP traffic except going to and from the Exchange Server on SBS.

Untangler

Thanks, i will perform them once untangle is up and running