Untanglit

Question Strategy dealing with cloud based devices/services

Hello All,
    I am not a network engineer, just a computer/home automation enthusiast. I have a general strategy question regarding how to handle systems like Teamviewer for example. Teamviewer is an Android remote control application. I would like to be able to remotely control Android devices in my home. Typically for PC based devices, I would use Open VPN to access my network and then connect to the device using the IP address and port. Teamviewer will not allow direct connections using IP address, instead it uses a Device ID and password. Each device must be accessible via the internet. I then login to the Teamview app, which connects me through their server, to my home and then the device.

I am not sure how this works, will I have to open a port in my firewall and forward it to the host device? Will the Teamviewer host on each android device, maintain a connection to the Teamviewer server?

I would like some advice on how to securely manage situations like this. I hate the cloud based stuff like this and Nest and many other devices like Thermostats that require the user to login to a server instead of connecting directly to the device.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Nothing needs to be opened unless you explicitly blocked it.

Teamviewer connects outbound and maintains a connection to their server. You connect through their servers.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com