Untanglit

Default Change the URL/IP sent to the browser on block?

I've seen a couple forum posts in the past about this problem, and they were supposedly "fixed by configuration". When a user browses to a site that is blocked, the URL handed out by Untangle is something like ..tp://LANIP/sitefilter/blockpage?nonce=5115fd820e099bc&tid=12. I'd like the LAN IP to be obfuscated a bit, so I'd like a FQDN to show there instead.

Supposedly, this is accomplished by going to Config, Administration, Public Address and choosing either the "Use Hostname" or "Use Manually Specified IP" options. I've tried using both, and neither affects the root path in the URL. It's always displayed as the raw LAN IP address.

Is there a file somewhere I can modify to force this to work correctly? No matter what is defined as the Public Address, the block notification pages disregard it and use the LAN IP.

You can not modify this value. It is the primary address of the source interface of the traffic.
    If you are doing this from your LAN then it will be your LAN ip.

welcome to the forums.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

So, this forum post where you stated the contrary is no longer true?

forums.untangle.com/networking/7786-ip-my-untangle-getting-displayed-block-page.html

i can't speak to the truth of a post that is 2+ year old, but no, you can't change it. changing the public address setting to hostname will not change the IP displayed in the URL when you hit a block page.

that being said, there is a feature request over here.
    Last edited by hlarsen; 06-23-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added bugzilla link

Quote Originally Posted by mastermindpro View Post
    So, this forum post where you stated the contrary is no longer true?

forums.untangle.com/networking/7786-ip-my-untangle-getting-displayed-block-page.html
    That guy is an idiot.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by hlarsen View Post
    i can't speak to the truth of a post that is 2+ year old, but no, you can't change it. changing the public address setting to hostname will not change the IP displayed in the URL when you hit a block page.

that being said, there is a feature request over (URL omitted because I don't have enough human points)here.
    I'm guessing a 2 year old feature request will be treated in the same way as a 2 year old forum post by an Untangle employee.

So, obviously, we *used* to be able to do this, but can't now. Was there a reason this capability was removed?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    That guy is an idiot.
    There was another dmorris...an evil dmorris...but I killed him.