Untangler

Default Compiling custom module questions

Hello all.

I am trying to compile the Atheros AR8151 driver 1.0.1.14 on Untangle.

I have loaded another box with Debian Lenny using kernel 2.6.26-2 and compiled the driver successfully and transferred it to Untangle 9.02 and loaded it with a modprobe --force successfully.

The problem is Untangle uses its own vermagic string and it doesn't match that of what debian lenny created and therefore I am having trouble getting it to load at boot time. I'm sure there is a work around for that because I am a linux newbie.

However, my questions are this. I want to compile it natively on the Untangle box and here is what I am running into. The instructions on the Untangle website do not work on 9.02.

I want to install the build-essential and linux-headers that will allow me to compile the driver on the Untangle box.

If someone would be so kind as to tell me:
    1) How should I temporarily modify the sources.list to download these components.
    2) Why do I get errors/how do I actually install those two items mentioned above. (I tried inserting the debian lenny entries into sources.list and using apt-get but I get some errors that I don't get on a real debian lenny box mainly concerning dependencies)
    3) Tell me if automatic updates to the Untangle box will knock out custom device drivers loaded into the kernel?

Thank you so much.

1) probably just uncomment the existing lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
    2) i guess that depends on what the "some errors" say.
    3) Yes, always assume upgrades will wipe out any command-line level changes.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/B...Kernel_Modules

we use a custom kernel, so you need to build for that kernel.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com