Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

I just downloaded it yesterday from http://gparted.org/download.php using the gparted-live-0.26.1-5-i686.iso. I downloaded a fresh OVA from Untangle yesterday too to test. Now, I didn't meddle with the Untangle configuration (setup wizard) on the test VM, not sure if I need to or not.

With regards to formatting /dev/sda5 I can't move it without it being a recognized format - the button is greyed out until I tell it to format it as linux-swap. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Hmm, that is strange. I can't see a reason why formatting that volume would pose a problem, technically speaking the kernel formats it every boot.

But, that may be something special because of VMWare? I haven't used that OVA in... well never... I tend to build my own.

And according to this : http://askubuntu.com/questions/49709...own-in-gparted

That partition being unknown is normal if the swap partition is encrypted. That'd be a strange thing for Untangle to do, I need to get my lab going.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Let me know what you find. Any idea what that unallocated 1.31MiB space is? It's in the way.

I just imported the OVA, and sure enough the swap partition is unknown.

But here's the fun part... stock OVA with zero changes should report 1gb of swap space available, and it shows 0mb. Also the UUID of the partition in question is set to 'DOS'. Which isn't valid. It looked to me like someone tried to disable the SWAP partition entirely, probably for performance reasons because VMWare will provide swap to a VM itself, so doing that in the guest has a negative performance reality.

Anyway, so I went full nuts and just deleted the 1gb virtual disk, as well as the extended partition, grew the ext4 root to the full 80gb of the imported disk and booted...

I see no ill effects, it had no swap to start, and no swap to finish.

I've never run VMs without their own swap, so this isn't a situation I'm entirely comfortable with, but if the swap is actually supposed to be there, the current OVA has issues.
    NexgenAppliances.com

OVA have no swap by design. The simpler solution is to create a VM will any drive size wanted and install from ISO.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Ahh, then the extra partitions in the OVA are just leftovers, and the OP can do what I just did... delete the extended partition, and the associated logical drive, and expand / to fill.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    OVA have no swap by design. The simpler solution is to create a VM will any drive size wanted and install from ISO.
    In my scenario where I already have the OVA deployed and in production are you recommending I just back it up, abandon it and deploy a new one with the configuration backup and larger disk size? I'd rather keep what I have and just expand the drive if possible. Thoughts?

I'd back the thing up, delete the fluff partitions, grow the / and move on personally.

If the OVA doesn't have swap by design, those extra partitions don't mean anything.

It's not like it's hard to go back, make a snapshot before you blow it up. Once you've got a few days under it, merge it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'd back the thing up, delete the fluff partitions, grow the / and move on personally.

If the OVA doesn't have swap by design, those extra partitions don't mean anything.

It's not like it's hard to go back, make a snapshot before you blow it up. Once you've got a few days under it, merge it.
    Okay, so if I understand you correctly I would just delete /dev/sda and dev/sda1?

Start with this:

un1.PNG

And end with this (?):

un2.PNG

No, I meant delete /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda5, and expand /dev/sda1.

Which appears to be what you've done.

Of course no swap means you'd better have enough RAM!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast