Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Question How to Expand Hard Drive Space (Untangle 12.1)

We have Untangle v12.1 running in our VMware environment. I can obviously expand the disk as much as I like from within VMware but I'm hoping there's a way to claim that extra space within Untangle (debian). I know that there's no Untangle supported method for doing this but I would like to give my VM some additional headroom. Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to do this. My Linux knowledge is very limited. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Master Untangler

Use GParted. Get the GParted ISO and boot to that in your VM. Expand the disk, and you will be good to go.
    ...Rick

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RBoynton View Post
    Use GParted. Get the GParted ISO and boot to that in your VM. Expand the disk, and you will be good to go.
    Thanks for the help! I'm assuming you've done this before on an Untangle box successfully? I might try this in the lab first.

Master Untangler

If in doubt, you will never go wrong testing in a sandbox environment...
    ...Rick

I highly recommend, using the Untangle backup to save settings, create a new instances with the new sized drive, install 12.1 and then restore the settings. The other methods are not support and probably led to issues with future upgrades.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yes, GParted works, I've done it many times, and no it doesn't break upgrades unless you change partition order... don't do that.

Pull an Untangle backup first, and have installation media available just in case. But, using gparted to expand the / filesystem into a larger disk is generally a trivial operation. Especially now that v12 installs can use EXT4.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yes, GParted works, I've done it many times, and no it doesn't break upgrades unless you change partition order... don't do that.

Pull an Untangle backup first, and have installation media available just in case. But, using gparted to expand the / filesystem into a larger disk is generally a trivial operation. Especially now that v12 installs can use EXT4.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll try it in the lab today.

Untangler

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

Okay, so I setup a test Untangle VM and ran GParted from an ISO and it appears that GParted doesn't recognize /dev/sda5 as swap. I can use GParted to format it as linux-swap but I'm not sure if that will cause problems or not. I need GParted to recognize it properly otherwise I can't shuffle the partitions around appropriately in order to get the unallocated space (80.84GB) next to the /dev/sda1/ partition. If I tell GParted to format it to linux-swap then I'm able to move the unallocated space closer to the /dev/sda1, but even then the existing unallocated space (1.31MB) is still in the way (not sure what this is or why it's there). I am able to move that 1.31MB unallocated space to the front in order to expand the /dev/sda1 to a total of 159.07GB but I can't move it back to maintain the original order.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here's what the system looks like prior to any arranging:

initial.PNG

Here's what the system would look like after my proposed arrangement:

proposed.PNG

Untangler

I was referencing this tutorial to familiarize myself with what I would need to do.

https://www.rootusers.com/use-gparte...ive-partition/

You can move /dev/sda5 without touching the formatting. The problem is you're trying to move the volume, when first you need to move the partition. The Cyan ring is the partition, expand it to the end of the disk, then move the volume within it to the end, then move the start of the cyan block right.

In DOS partitioning you have two types of partition, primary and extended. You can only have four primary partitions. You can have only one extended partition, but that extended partition can house multiple volumes. By default Debian puts the swap in an extended partition, which incidentally is why it's sda5, and not sda2, 5 being the first volume in the extended partition.

What version of GParted are you using? Where did you get it? Because it should be recognizing that partition as swap, unless something is wrong with it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast