Untangler

Default kbps/mbps instead of kBps/mBps

Is there a way to have the graphs and reports display bandwidth-related values in kilobits/megabits per second instead of kiloBytes/megaBytes per second?

Not globally but you can customize any report with the units of your choices.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thank you.

Is this feature something that can be added in the future? Particularly, for the dashboard?

I hope it's not asking too much. Almost every network device I work with denotes throughput in bps. Either that or it at least has an option to choose between bits or bytes / sec. It is more intuitive to use as WAN or ISP connections are always advertised in bps (mbps or gbps, etc.).

For statistics that describe data volume, the de facto should still be Bytes.

It's been discussed before. https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-3837 It's unlikely to change. bit and bytes are the same type of unit measure, one is just a multiple of the other.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Yes, that's true. But why relegate to manually computing the numbers in ones head when a simple switch and some minor code adjustment can be made to how the data can be presented on the Dashboard? I admit, I'm not good in math and it will still take me a good several seconds to convert say, 960 kBytes to kbps in my head. But I really needn't do that... we have computers that can do it more efficiently. All the info I need is whether I'm reaching my subscribed WAN throughput without the unnecessary math.

I'm not trying to be difficult but, it's not like I'm asking the UT software to cook me dinner. All I'm saying is that the traditional way to quantify throughput on WAN links has always been measured in bits/s. It's a de facto norm since forever.

FWIW, it only make sense to use the Bytes/s unit when it's something to do with storage throughput (ie. hard disk transfers, etc.) since storage capacity and data volume is measured in bytes.
    Last edited by oj88; 03-05-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Yes, that's true. But why relegate to manually computing the numbers in ones head when a simple switch and some minor code adjustment can be made to how the data can be presented on the Dashboard? I admit, I'm not good in math and it will still take me a good several seconds to convert say, 960 kBytes to kbps in my head. But I really needn't do that... we have computers that can do it more efficiently. All the info I need is whether I'm reaching my subscribed WAN throughput without the unnecessary math.

I'm not trying to be difficult but, it's not like I'm asking the UT software to cook me dinner. All I'm saying is that the traditional way to quantify throughput on WAN links has always been measured in bits/s. It's a de facto norm since forever.

FWIW, it only make sense to use the Bytes/s unit when it's something to do with storage throughput (ie. hard disk transfers, etc.) since storage capacity and data volume is measured in bytes.
    Hmm...I never once thought to look to my UT dashboard to understand/qualify the throughput from my ISP.
    More important to understand is the type of service used (i.e., Cable Modem, DSL, etc.) and its technology...and what one can expect.
    With that said, I do use a couple tools to help me understand the cloud metrics of the current service in time, but also understand at any given time, their are far too many issues which can affect my experience of the interweb.
    Personally, what bugs me with our computer technology is how we've convenienced the ignorant herd with the use of decimal and not the true binary representation, the bits vs bytes seems petty to me. Just sayin...
    The Config>Network>Troubleshooting tab has some very powerful tools...

Speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/
    PingPlotter http://www.pingplotter.com/
    DownDetector http://downdetector.com/
    Last edited by f1assistance; 03-05-2018 at 05:34 AM.
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Untangler

Petty or not, it's a little something that I think makes it more intuitive. The devs at UT had given GREAT thoughts at providing very rich reporting tools and dashboard widgets. Why not go the distance and include the feature? It's sort of a standard for most network equipment anyway.

We all use our UT slightly differently. I monitor WAN usage at times when internet access seems slow. Since I still have a DSL line that maxes out at 8-10 mbps, and on top of which, transient line noises can cause the speed to drop even more, I look at the Dashboard to see realtime WAN usage. We still live in a part of town where there's still no fiber connections.

At the least, make the feature available on the "Interface Usage" and the "Network Layout" widgets.

if not, so be it. I had to try.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    if not, so be it. I had to try.
    In a sense, Untangle acknowledges the bits preference when it comes to things like QoS. My favorite speed test tool (Flash-less Ookla) measures in bits. My ISP advertises in bits (maybe just because it's a larger number).

So it is a little messy to have to shift mental gears, but if it's not going to change, at least you had to try.

You can modify the 'Interface Usage' report to show Mbps instead, it's just a quick change of the dynamic value. Go to that report, then click the Settings button. Change the "Dynamic Value" field from rx_rate to (rx_rate*8)/1000000 (or 1048576 if you want to be exact) and change the "Units" field from bytes/s to something like Mb/s. Unfortunately, I don't think the y-axis values or the hover box will dynamically change to show the units, like Kbytes/s, and will only display the number and the static unit set above. After making these changes, change the title so you can save it as a new report. Then you can add this report to the dashboard.

Or you can import this report settings file via the Import button in the lower left corner on the reports screen if you do not want to change the values manually.

Interface_Usage_(Mbps).json.txt

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cmercer View Post
    You can modify the 'Interface Usage' report to show Mbps instead, it's just a quick change of the dynamic value. Go to that report, then click the Settings button. Change the "Dynamic Value" field from rx_rate to (rx_rate*8)/1000000 (or 1048576 if you want to be exact) and change the "Units" field from bytes/s to something like Mb/s. Unfortunately, I don't think the y-axis values or the hover box will dynamically change to show the units, like Kbytes/s, and will only display the number and the static unit set above. After making these changes, change the title so you can save it as a new report. Then you can add this report to the dashboard.

Or you can import this report settings file via the Import button in the lower left corner on the reports screen if you do not want to change the values manually.

Interface_Usage_(Mbps).json.txt
    Thanks! I'll try these out.