Untanglit

Default Install entware for cpu/fan monitoring.

My objective is to view cpu temperature and fan rpm rotation on my thinkpad x220 as a router. This will work in most cases for X64 Hardware since UEFI is not supported for now, chances you are running older hardware thus well supported. Let me know if it works with Untangle hardware or qotom. As a former UNIX/Linux sysadmin and tinkering with DIY NAS for nslu2/pogoplug hardware using optware software(if you understand this, you are old! and so am I... ), was thinking if entware(2500+ apps and utilities software repository) can do this because it has an x86/x64 port. There is no documentation to do this, so made this for anyone to use. Usual no warranties and if it breaks, you keep the pieces. May submit it to entware in github if i'm not lazy.

Note:
    * A new version of Untangle may wipe it out or give you issues if they ever use /opt. Also, sensors configs may be removed by the updates. This is easy, and just run sensors-detect again.
    * you can auto start some of the server components like asterisk, nginx, bind, samba, wireguard, zabbix etc. but strongly discouraged. My opinion is that It's role is a UTM not a server and may have security implications. If you really want, you can do this via systemd, and leave as an exercise to the reader to do this.
    * A big thanks to Untangle Dev team to crucially add the kernel module "coretemp" or else this will not work out of the box. Otherwise, you have to recompile the kernel module everytime their is a bump to a newer kernel version.

Since /opt is blank in Untangle and entware is self contained, let's give it a shot. Have issues initially with running the installer and was giving me segmentation fault. Troubleshooting shows that the ld.so.conf is a bit weird, so created variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So let's get started on how to do it.

1. login to untangle via ssh as root.
    2. create an executable file say, ~/eu.sh and content is:
    #!/bin/zsh
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/lib
    . /opt/etc/profile

3. make it executable:
    chmod 700 ~/eu.sh

4. run the script
    ~/eu.sh

5. run the installer:
    wget -O - http://bin.entware.net/x64-k3.2/installer/generic.sh | /bin/sh

6. update the list of applications
    opkg update

Entware is now installed. You can now install other utilities like my favorites htop, mc, iperf, iperf3, etc. on /opt without interfering with Untangle OS whatsoever. If you want to run entware software, just run the script first eu.sh again.

Since i'm going to install the sensors utilities, proceeding for the optional steps below.
    1. Install sensors
    opkg install lm-sensors lm-sensors-detect

2. edit sensors-detect. Change the line below since untangle does not have perl. vi or edit the file /opt/sbin/sensors-detect and change the first line:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

to:
    #!/opt/bin/perl -w

3. run sensors-detect to get the digital thermal/power and I2C/SMBus sensor values. Say yes to all the prompt.
    /opt/sbin/sensors-detect

4. restart the systemd service or reboot:
    systemctl enable lm_sensors.service

5. run sensors
    /opt/sbin/sensors

6. output:
    root@untangle:/opt/sbin# sensors
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Package id 0: +52.0 C (high = +86.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
    Core 0: +52.0 C (high = +86.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
    Core 1: +53.0 C (high = +86.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    fan1: 3505 RPM

A little bit high on idle. Next project, put arctic mx-4 thermal compound on the cpu to lower the temp!

PS: since python-pip is available, speedtest-cli and lets encrypt are good potentials to install.

Regards,
    Andre <amvaron@gmail.com>
    Last edited by balrog; 09-28-2020 at 02:10 AM.

Untangle can now support UEFI if you do a fresh install with the 16.0 RC. That might open up some options for you.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty