Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mDNS (external)

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    As far as I can tell there is no marketing effort to home users. Without marketing it will never grow. Word of mouth is all I have ever seen for untangle, home or otherwise. Well other than their junk mail. lol
    I can't comment on that much because exactly none of the marketing I've ever attempted has ever worked.

But I do chuckle at people complaining about the Home subscription prices when Netgear is making a killing selling Orbi.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

LoL

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    But I do chuckle at people complaining about the Home subscription prices when Netgear is making a killing selling Orbi.
    A subscription for "a router" is a new concept for many people.

But everyone I showed what I do with untangle in my home did see the benefit they get from the apps included in the Home plans and never complained (to me) about the costs again afterwards.

I got a good amount of people to use Untangle for their home and they are all very happy with it.

Personally I just miss 2 things. CAKE for QoS/SQM and I want to do something about those IoT devices - a "solution" that is feasible for a home environment.
    Last edited by cholzer; 04-28-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by datstma View Post
    Just figured this one out :-)
    Hey Stefan, can you help me out?

I just tried this on a test install.
    eth1 is 192.168.2.0
    eth1.10 is 192.168.10.0

I did not setup any firewall rules to block traffic between the networks

Via the IP I can access any device across the networks.

But the Sonos app can't see the sonos speakers on the other network, the YT app see the TV on the other network and windows fails to discover the network printer when it is on the other network.

So this does not appear to work for me but I don't know what I did wrong since I followed your steps.

Code:
    [root @ untangle] ~ # sudo systemctl status avahi-daemon
    ● avahi-daemon.service - Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-07-02 17:26:43 CEST; 6min ago
     Main PID: 469 (avahi-daemon)
        Tasks: 2
       Memory: 1.9M
       CGroup: /system.slice/avahi-daemon.service
               ├─469 avahi-daemon: running [untangle.local]
               └─481 avahi-daemon: chroot helper

Jul 02 17:26:43 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
    Jul 02 17:26:43 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: Network interface enumeration completed.
    Jul 02 17:26:43 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: Server startup complete. Host name is untangle.local. Local service cookie is 1450311942.
    Jul 02 17:26:43 untangle.example.com systemd[1]: Started Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
    Jul 02 17:26:52 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth1.IPv4 with address 192.168.2.1.
    Jul 02 17:26:52 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: New relevant interface eth1.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Jul 02 17:26:52 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: Registering new address record for 192.168.2.1 on eth1.IPv4.
    Jul 02 17:26:52 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth1.10.IPv4 with address 192.168.10.1.
    Jul 02 17:26:52 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: New relevant interface eth1.10.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Jul 02 17:26:52 untangle.example.com avahi-daemon[469]: Registering new address record for 192.168.10.1 on eth1.10.IPv4.

Code:
    [server]
    #host-name=foo
    #domain-name=local
    #browse-domains=0pointer.de, zeroconf.org
    use-ipv4=yes
    use-ipv6=yes
    allow-interfaces=eth1,eth1.10
    #deny-interfaces=eth0
    #check-response-ttl=no
    #use-iff-running=no
    #enable-dbus=yes
    #disallow-other-stacks=no
    #allow-point-to-point=no
    #cache-entries-max=4096
    #clients-max=4096
    #objects-per-client-max=1024
    #entries-per-entry-group-max=32
    ratelimit-interval-usec=1000000
    ratelimit-burst=1000

[wide-area]
    enable-wide-area=yes

[publish]
    #disable-publishing=no
    #disable-user-service-publishing=no
    #add-service-cookie=no
    #publish-addresses=yes
    publish-hinfo=no
    publish-workstation=no
    #publish-domain=yes
    #publish-dns-servers=192.168.50.1, 192.168.50.2
    #publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers=yes
    #publish-aaaa-on-ipv4=yes
    #publish-a-on-ipv6=no

[reflector]
    enable-reflector=yes
    #reflect-ipv=no

[rlimits]
    #rlimit-as=
    #rlimit-core=0
    #rlimit-data=8388608
    #rlimit-fsize=0
    #rlimit-nofile=768
    #rlimit-stack=8388608
    #rlimit-nproc=3
    Last edited by cholzer; 07-02-2021 at 08:51 AM.

I'm chiming in here because, after several years of enjoying Untangle, the lack of VLAN mDNS support is frustrating.

I've read through pretty much all forum topics discussing mDNS and despite a clear desire from Untangle users to have it implemented, the developers choose not to.

I find it interesting that the reason not to is because it's a security issue but uPNP is still implemented and with a few clicks within the untangle GUI you can compromise your system (incorrect port forwarding or access rules, WebGUI/ssh enabled to wan, etc). Heck, just inputting a compromised DNS server into your interface settings could introduce a whole host of issues.

It would be great if Untangle would come out formally and say either 1) They refuse to implement it, ever 2) They don't know how to correctly implement it or 3) They've implemented it and use it at your own risk. Maybe even disable it on untangle appliances to further CYA.

Just 2 cents from a 99.9% happy untangle user that just wants mDNS across VLANs.

Quote Originally Posted by technologiq View Post
    I'm chiming in here because, after several years of enjoying Untangle, the lack of VLAN mDNS support is frustrating.

I've read through pretty much all forum topics discussing mDNS and despite a clear desire from Untangle users to have it implemented, the developers choose not to.

I find it interesting that the reason not to is because it's a security issue but uPNP is still implemented and with a few clicks within the untangle GUI you can compromise your system (incorrect port forwarding or access rules, WebGUI/ssh enabled to wan, etc). Heck, just inputting a compromised DNS server into your interface settings could introduce a whole host of issues.

It would be great if Untangle would come out formally and say either 1) They refuse to implement it, ever 2) They don't know how to correctly implement it or 3) They've implemented it and use it at your own risk. Maybe even disable it on untangle appliances to further CYA.

Just 2 cents from a 99.9% happy untangle user that just wants mDNS across VLANs.
    I'm good for a solid rant, I've been known to write a few myself. But you should know that forums are a TERRIBLE place to get good information unless you consider the source first.

Here, have some actual information from someone with a small amount of knowledge: https://untanglengfirewall.featureupvote.com/
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Done, thank you.

Untangler

One more or one hundred will not make it happen unless they start listening to their customers again. Heck they haven't taken up a free offer of help.
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...ncy-management

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123