Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default High Memory Usage!

Hey everyone! I'm new to UT and am very impressed by everything that it can do. However, i've been keep a close eye on it making sure everything is running correctly and i'm noticing that the used memory keeps climbing until it's almost completely used. Then once it gets to being depleted, then the swap starts being used. Finally, I just restarted the UT server and everything reset. I've been searching for an answer to this and have found where the swap is being used and the firewall is locking up, but I wanted to catch this before it happens here b/c we can't afford for our network to go down. I was curious if there is something that I can run to clear the sessions or pages in memory or something I can do to help it release the used memory. The specs on the machine that is running UT are

2.5 gigs of ram.
    500 GB Hard drive
    2, intel(R) pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60 GHz, 2605.96
    4 NICs, but only 2 being used. 2 being used are linksys gigabit cards
    running Untangle 6.2
    Build: 6.2.0~svn20090527r23446release6.2-1lenny

Java: 1.6.0_12

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! TY in advance!

i'm noticing that the used memory keeps climbing until it's almost completely used. Then once it gets to being depleted, then the swap starts being used.
    How long this process will take?

how are you measuring memory usage?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

I've been having a strikingly similar-sounding issue. Take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.untangle.com/hardware/...html#post64932

I ended up following directions from a post in another thread (you'll see where I did that toward the end of page 2 of that link).

these directions (run steps as root):
    killall -9 slapd
    killall -9 slapcat
    cd /var/lib
    mkdir untangle-ldap-dead
    mv untangle-ldap/* untangle-ldap-dead
    slapindex -v
    reboot

It's been 6 hours and everything is still working properly. Memory usage is normal and swap usage is at 0kb.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    how are you measuring memory usage?
    TY all for your quick replies! I've been watching it and the memory keeps climbing but does seem to decrease at all. It had climbed to about 94% memory usage which is about 150 MB free. At that point, while the users were not in, I decided to restart the UT server. After I restarted the machine, yesterday when I made my first post, the memory usage was around 400 MBs. Now it is up to 1,100 MBs being utilized. Even after our 20 users shut down their computers, the memory does not decrease over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by geniehost
    How long will this process take?
    The first time it took about a week for it to completely climb all the way to 2.3 gigs of memory being used.

Crazylegs, i'll try to rebuild the slapd database, but it will probably be monday before I can get to it, unfortunately. I actually had found that post, but was not sure if this was my problem or not. What commands were you running?

If there is any other information I can give you guys, let me know. Thank you again for all of your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by rylonian82 View Post
    TY all for your quick replies! I've been watching it and the memory keeps climbing but does seem to decrease at all. It had climbed to about 94% memory usage which is about 150 MB free. At that point, while the users were not in, I decided to restart the UT server. After I restarted the machine, yesterday when I made my first post, the memory usage was around 400 MBs. Now it is up to 1,100 MBs being utilized. Even after our 20 users shut down their computers, the memory does not decrease over the weekend.
    Are you reading this through the UI?

Memory usage won't go back down, and it will gradually go up to its optimum working set size. (which is usually around 95%) usage.

If you don't want that memory used - I'd take it out of the server. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it until you actually have an issue.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Are you reading this through the UI?

Memory usage won't go back down, and it will gradually go up to its optimum working set size. (which is usually around 95%) usage.

If you don't want that memory used - I'd take it out of the server. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it until you actually have an issue.

Yes I was reading that through the UI. I'm sorry, I am new to UT and didn't know that it would go that high on the memory usage. If that is normal then I will not worry about it, unless I have an issue. I just figured it would be better to be safe than sorry for not asking. I don't have a problem with it using that memory at all and it can stay in the server. Just curious, what percentage of the swap partition is typically used? Should it stay around a certain level or is there something I should watch? Noticed that it stays at 0 until the memory gets close to all of it being utilized. Again, thank you all for your help!

swap usage depends on your uptime, network traffic, memory in the machine etc.

swap usage of anything between 0-500 megs is normal.
    if its 80%+ full thats bad.

hi,

even i'm also having same issue like lonian82, once physical memory reaches 95%(swap never used)UT box freeaing and i've to hard reboot no choice.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    snp

Master Untangler

What version are you running? I've noticed that things are running better since the upgrade to the latest available version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast