Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Correction, you cannot go to Cisco.com and buy a product from Cisco...

Read the page very carefully, you're buying from Cisco's T1 distributor. Which I believe is techdata.

You just made my point for me, thanks.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Jaja, ok, its for example purpose the cisco named.
    I believe with Untangle can coexist 2 or more bussines model.
    If any like download and install the product (free or paid app) and can install and configure well in your envoirment, its ok.
    Some times, its more complex, or the customer dont have the tech support with networking knowledge needed, and here play us.
    I consider myself more a VAR to a Partner, because sell a complete solution with hardware, software and support, Untangle its an important piece of this solution.

And for the record, Astaro (Endian Too) sell hardware appliances, the "comunity" software that you can download its a residual (marketing purposes?) product.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

I do not have any issues with UT funneling all "paid" subscriptions or appliances through one or multiple resellers, but I would hate to see the opensource side of the product disappear, which is something you must be mindful of. I do not know of any reseller that will host/provide the "free" modules, so what is the option then, even the base/opensource has some sort of subscription?

UT is a great product! With EVERY product (free or paid) there are flaws, I mean look at Mac (and I know there are some on here that love Mac and some that hate it, but using it because they are pretty much a closed distribution, they do the hardware/software), even the products they sell have flaws, their HCL is small, closed to their testing..etc, yet they have bugs, hardware issues...etc. This has nothing to do with the distribution channel being discussed.

For the record I support having a great reseller channel for the subscription modules/support. I still believe however they need to also have an opensource side, whether you want to look at it like RHEL/Fedora or SUSE/OpenSUSE...etc, that is up for debate.

Untangle will always be open source unless they decide to reinvent spam assassin, clamAV, and all the other open source components they use to drive the product. The paid modules are either commercially available products that have been incorporated or code that was brewed in house to achieve a given function. Kaspersky and the directory connector are two good examples of this.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

I have no idea if this is feasible, but it is an idea. Perhaps someone could create a separate ISO for download that runs some sort of hardware compatibility checker on the system. It could perhaps alert you to issues prior to trying to install the full system.

Is that feasible or would it just be a mess to program?
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by neiby View Post
    I have no idea if this is feasible, but it is an idea. Perhaps someone could create a separate ISO for download that runs some sort of hardware compatibility checker on the system. It could perhaps alert you to issues prior to trying to install the full system.

On the same line, there are some Linux distros that allow you to submit your hardware/software to a database for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by neiby View Post

This idea would be best served by using a liveCD based OS. Just boot the CD and if it works you're gold, if not oh well. It's the primary reason most linux distributions have gone that route with their installation media.

The problem so far, is that Debian on a LIVE CD fails hard... Ubuntu is working on it, so there is hope.

And don't think I won't put OpenSource Untangle out there, and that I won't support it. I just won't sell new hardware without SOMETHING paid on Untangle. The cost of the policy manager is minimal enough to not even make a dent in the total cost at the end. And the features that come with it are worth it. I do have Open Source installations in the field, in business environments. Most of them are SMBs that are just trying to get into the black again, and all of them provided used old hardware that was simply reworked to provide the system.

I fully expect all of them to turn into paid subs eventually, assuming they survive.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Sky-knight with your post above is the reason why you are in business! Though I am not a reseller, I operate my business the same way....

I support SMB's, and as you noted times are tough right now and they are operating on shoe-string budgets. I expect once the economy picks back up, there will be sales that UT makes from systems I have put in place with the opensource package in place.

Quote Originally Posted by raditude View Post
    I do not know of any reseller that will host/provide the "free" modules, so what is the option then, even the base/opensource has some sort of subscription?
    As an SMB Consultant and Untangle partner...most of my UT installs at clients are the base open source package. Why? Because many of my clients are small businesses that don't have enterprise budgets for UTM appliances. They were just running on basic NAT routers and SOHO/SMB grade routers...really just NAT. No additional security features. As I replace their workstation...using one of the older ones to install UT on is a great way to add security and features to their network. The cost of perhaps a little more RAM, I usually have dozens of spare NICs around..so I slap a 2nd NIC in, I install a brand new hard drive...and presto..instant good Untangle rig to replace their old PIX or Stinksys router or whatever they had. At many clients that have me on fixed monthly retainers...it's really not much time invested on my part to install Untangle and swap out their old box. And the end result is increased security for my clients...less issues...results in less time I spend cleaning up something like a malware infected on a PC..so in the end...an hours invested time on my part results in far less hours spend down the road. And a smoother running network for my client..so they're happy too. Or at some other clients where I bill hourly while I'm there..they trust me enough to pay me an hour or so to built it and install it. In larger clients where I feel support is needed..for "must have internet" clients...I will always go with the Pro version and have them pay for that.

This gets Untangles foot in the door...and at some of my clients I know I can work them into one of the Pro versions of Untangle in due time.

The recession hit New England..but we haven't really slowed down too much...matter of fact we just moved our offices to a bigger larger nicer location. Things have been on the up and up for a while now.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 06-03-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    I absolutely agree, you need to do your homework before you go out and just buy a machine and then hope it supports Linux at all let alone Debian.

Personally I love the way the Untangle community has formed. The idea that you have "homebrew" rigs that run great for people like me. Then for people that need a little more uh assurance you have resellers like Sky-Knight and Proactivens who can provide a solid built rig that can be backed by support for people who require it. Untangle is IMO inching into a perfect place that will suite them well.
    I agree, and also with the Debian wiki comment, it IS there because that is what the current version of Untangle is built upon. Maybe they should link to the OS they are using for the wiki, much like pfSense would link to FreeBSD on the ALTQ drivers, this is no different, they have stated their system requirements, and made this great software, I really think that having to do "some" research on what will and will not work is something the end user should do, most of the footwork is done on the internet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast