Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

But whats not OK is pretending that standard school-based IT staff can readily deploy this thing on various hardware. They can't, its not versatile.
    yes they can...

Buy some intel desktop board, or Gigabyte, toss in some intel NIC's and your done, it really IS that simple

Personally for me, if you cant be bothered to research a product first, you have no business trying to install linux based firewall system if you do not have experience with OS's and hardware in the past. I know nothing about LInux, but i know how to read a forum, all i did!
    Last edited by Mathiau; 06-04-2010 at 08:04 AM.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

I have personally sold over 20 districts across the country my hardware and untangle. They love it. Maybe its only your district, and maybe if people gave the resellers some serious consideration instead of buying a dell server that is documented to not work properly things would go smoother.

Untangle from untangle.com is not a ready to go product, it requires some work. Untangle from untangleappliances.com is a ready to go product and all you have to do is buy it. No "home brew" research required.
    Last edited by proactivens; 06-04-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: HTML quotes dont work.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

My pet peeve is, that AD integration is not one of the free options. The reason I installed UT in the first place is we are a small company and dont have the budget for an appliance. The free aspect of it, was very seductive. But most people who want to install UT will most likely be like me, in an Active Directory environment, than you find an important component is not free.

Ok, really?

*Warning incoming steam roller*

http://www.untangle.com/Directory-Connector

1-10 users costs, $75.60 / YEAR.

If you're in a business and can't come up with $75 a year, it's time to find another job because you're about to lose the one you have. Also, if you're in a business with AD that can't find $75 in a years time you don't have the resources to properly maintain AD to begin with...

Of course IMHO, if you're in a business with less than 10 machines and you're actually using AD, you've already screwed up.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

SMR

Quote Originally Posted by Analog-X64 View Post
    My pet peeve is, that AD integration is not one of the free options. The reason I installed UT in the first place is we are a small company and dont have the budget for an appliance. The free aspect of it, was very seductive. But most people who want to install UT will most likely be like me, in an Active Directory environment, than you find an important component is not free.
    This is a for profit company. They do not intend on giving everything away for free. This is a company that has developers and other employees which depend on their paycheck that is paid from apps like AD. The fact that we get as much as we do for free is astounding.

And to have the same kind of deal, you usually have to spend a hefty amount more than what it costs for Directory Connector at UT.
    Sam Reeves
    Disclaimer: I know nothing.. There, that should satisfy any doubt you had!
    "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook." - Shawshank Redemption (1994 film - Andy Dufresne)

Master Untangler

As a reseller I have spent thousands of dollars on wasted equipment sorting out what works and doesn't with Untangle. Sadly, hardware changes so fast that this is a never ending battle. Like the recent issues with Broadcom cards not being detected. What a pain!

I would love for untangle to at least pick two-three main hardware vendors and commit to supporting at least one of those vendors boxes. For example, one of the Dell 1U servers, etc. This way, a company can purchase Untangle and "known" good hardware and know that FOR SURE that they will be able to install it into production without hardware/driver issues.

Issues are too costly. Any revenue that would be gained is lost just as soon as an Untangle implementation at a client has problems.

You know the odd thing there far...

I haven't had any trouble at all. I just look for "new" that is 1 generation old and it always works. I've also been telling people since I started here to stick with Intel interfaces.

Personally, the fact that Untangle doesn't operate on Dell isn't a problem. That said, if you stick to servers that Dell lists as supporting linux... guess what, they work.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Sky, not always the case.

I guess for us our requirements are a bit different. We got burned going with hardware that doesn't have same day/next day hardware warranty. We had a couple dozen boxes across the USA and in East Asia fail one by one. An absolute nightmare.

Now we stay with hardware that has International Warranty programs that provides same day or next hardware replacement. All this doesn't even cost that much more.

Though, hardware changes often and we have to test and re-test. Sadly, testing in a lab isn't enough. Testing in our production environment isn't enough either. We have to-do a several month test and trickle a little at a time these days to prevent issues of the past.

The bottom line, our type of clients don't accept very much downtime.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    You know the odd thing there far...

I haven't had any trouble at all. I just look for "new" that is 1 generation old and it always works. I've also been telling people since I started here to stick with Intel interfaces.

Personally, the fact that Untangle doesn't operate on Dell isn't a problem. That said, if you stick to servers that Dell lists as supporting linux... guess what, they work.
    Also, recently we had some Intel cards not work with Untangle as well. I hear that 7.3 fixes that though. Still though, all this xxxxx factor is costly.

If you're an international thing, I'd say you're beyond Untangle's scope anyway...

But again, buy the Dell with an Intel chipset, with Intel interfaces, and has direct support for Red Hat. It will run Untangle flawlessly, perfectly, and forever.

As for the Intel network cards not working... I had the procedure for updating those drivers on these forums over a year ago. Untangle just finally got around to putting it into 7.3 for us.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast