Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I love how come popular one threat whit "problem" and "untangle" in the topic
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    I love how come popular one threat whit "problem" and "untangle" in the topic
    LOL, indeed
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untangler

I like to run UT in a virtual environment. You can run VMware ESXi (free) and run UT on top of it, which removes the hardware compatibility aspect. Now you do have to have hardware that is VMware compatible, but there is a really extensive compatibility list for that. VMware has the resources to do the testing and to get the hardware vendors to comply.

Granted it's likely to mostly be server class hardware, not "previously enjoyed" workstations.

That's my anyway...

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcharters View Post
    I like to run UT in a virtual environment. You can run VMware ESXi (free) and run UT on top of it, which removes the hardware compatibility aspect. Now you do have to have hardware that is VMware compatible, but there is a really extensive compatibility list for that. VMware has the resources to do the testing and to get the hardware vendors to comply.

Granted it's likely to mostly be server class hardware, not "previously enjoyed" workstations.

That's my anyway...
    This is a great solution, for those that don't require QOS. QOS in virtual + 50-100 users behind it = a bad idea.

It works fine even with QoS enabled, but it requires dedicated hardware pools, and more physical interfaces than is normally found in an ESXi server.

Also, ESXi has a HCL >< in comparison of Untangle. So I wouldn't say it removes the hardware issue, it actually makes it worse. Finding a server to run ESXi properly isn't trivial. The only real difference is VMWare has gotten in with HP and Dell and both of those major OEMs do ESX testing on their products.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Also, ESXi has a HCL >< in comparison of Untangle. So I wouldn't say it removes the hardware issue, it actually makes it worse. Finding a server to run ESXi properly isn't trivial. The only real difference is VMWare has gotten in with HP and Dell and both of those major OEMs do ESX testing on their products.
    I agree with you about the HCL being more limiting, but I think the issue that the OP had was that without a complete and accurate HCL you're never quite sure if it's going to work until you try it. A lot of people won't have issues spending a bit of money on hardware as long as they know it will work. That's just one of the advantages of virtualizing on a platform such as VMware... I know it will work every time... on any name brand server that I buy.

Master Untangler

I am fine with ESX HCL. No problem at all. Sure QOS will work with ESX, but try putting 20 concurrent phone calls (ie VOIP) and 100 users behind an ESX Untangle box with QOS. Let me know how that goes. :P

Edit: Even try just 3 concurrent phone calls with dynamic-heavy hitting users behind Untangle.
    Last edited by far182; 06-04-2010 at 12:43 PM.

It can be done, but you must dedicate hardware to the Untangle. And how much hardware do you dedicate? That depends on load... It's a mess, but it can be done.

And, I've had name brand servers on VMWare's HCL not work too so... 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

As an UT newbie, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents as well.

I've been using a UTM appliance solution for about 7 years now for our small business. Although I come from a computer background and have had experience with Unix and Windows, I wasn't ready to become the IT guy full-time. We've used this UTM appliance through multiple hardware upgrades, and overall it works very well. My biggest complaint: Cost!

The support is great, and I don't have to worry about too much, as the interface is simplified, and similar to UT's. But we've easily spent 2-3x the cost of what UT Pro's bundle would be, each year to maintain.

If I had known about UT a while back, we may be using it now, as our primary UTM. However, I only discovered this a week ago, and am testing it with older (P4 machine) hardware, and it seems to be working fine with the parts that I have lying around.

I did choose UT over other Linux products because of the low-hassle install claims. And it's true, I didn't have to mess with installing Linux, or command lines or anything (save for a minor video corruption issue that a second install seemed to correct). That's what I expected, and what I got.

As far as configuration goes, it's nice to have a forum where I can do a little bit of research on setting up the system. However, for a true business-class product, I would have paid for, and expected support from Untangle. It's only because of the dedication of the community here that I've been able to get what I wanted from UT with minimal fuss.

Agreeing with some of the previous posts, there should be at least a half dozen or more hardware platforms that have been tested as working, even if not certified, to give people an idea of what to expect. Like I said before, I have really old equipment that ran just fine, but that doesn't seem to be the case for some others.

I would have preferred running UT as a VM, but don't yet have the budget to get a powerful enough machine to handle it, so I threw together an old computer. To have SMBs take UT seriously as a UTM appliance, I think that there should be a few tested configurations listed. The manual stating that we should stay away from cheapo NICs was good, as I found that most anything I could find locally was one of the RealTek-based ones that I should avoid. If my hardware didn't work, perhaps my experience would have been very different, and I may have moved to a competitor's product.

Maybe some more info in the manual, such as "These PCs have been known to give people trouble" would be helpful. If I had gone out and purchased equipment only to find out that it was a pain in the rear to get it working, I'd be pretty ticked off. But then again, to go out and buy new hardware without doing some research first isn't necessarily prudent.

There are hardware appliance vendors listed in the wiki. We do spend lots of time and money finding hardware that works. You could buy a ready made solution from one of us, or you can go it alone, the choice is yours.

As for support, you can buy support. It comes standard with every software bundle you can buy, or you can buy just support. Of course Untangle isn't going to give support for free if your only using the open source package, but what do you really expect?
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast