Master Untangler

Default Dell Vostro 230 MiniTower and UT

Today my new "desktop acting as server" arrived. It is a Dell Vostro 230 Minitower priced at EUR 550,- with the following specs:

- Vostro V230 MT : Standard Base with Integrated GMA X4500 Card
    - Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz,1333MHz,6MB)
    - Memory : 4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Single Channel
    - Floppy Drive : Not Included
    - Hard Drive : 160GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    - Optical Drive : 16X DVD ROM
    - Display : Not Included
    - Speakers : Not Included
    - Mice : Not Included
    - Keyboard : Not Included
    - Operating System : Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32 BIT) with Recovery DVD
    - 3Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day

Why this system?
    Well i looked pretty long to find a suitable UT server. We only use Dell so the brand was determined by that. I looked for rack servers and tower servers but all these were either too pricey when configured right (i wanted hardware RAID for example) or apparently not working/tested with UT.

In the end i found some good experiences with the previous Vostro, so i thougt why not give this one a try as the hardware looked like it would work. If i couldn't get it to work it would still make a nice client pc anyway.

I did bought 3y onsite next buss. day which is very good from Dell (from own experience). And yes... i HAD to buy Windows with it, while in the specs they also mention FreeDOS.

Using it with UT

This went something like this:

- Boot up and access BIOS first. Disable built-in audio, serial port and NIC. Set boot order.
    - Shut down system and install 2 NIC's i had lying around: Intel Pro 1000 MT PCI and Broadcom 5721(?) PCIe
    - Boot system from UT 7.4 install CD (the windows pre-install didn't had a chance )
    - Installer worked fine with SATA DVD drive and performed a expert install to use all of the 160GB it came with.
    - Boot up UT --- WOW this is a LOT faster than my testing system which took 10 minutes or so.
    - Perform UT setup, install lite package, premium package
    - Backup config from test server, Migrate license from test server to new one
    - Swap network cables and Restored config backup
    - Done! (all in about 1,5 hour!!!)

All in all the system seems to have zero problems so far and is performing very good. RAM usage is about 1200MB for a setup without additional racks, but with almost all modules enabled.

In the days to come i will monitor the system further. My old system was definately underperforming as sometimes i wouldn't scan emails and would skip reports from time to time. I don't think this will happen anymore

I will clone the HDD to a second drive which i will mount in the case and disconnect it so i can quickly swap it if the first drive dies. (another thought was to use a SSD as a replacement to RAID)

If i have new experiences the next days i will post follow up's.

Unless you have a separate raid card you don't have hardware raid. the ich series of raid is actually FRAID(Fakeraid) which is really a software raid using the cpu as a controller. Basically this is PIO mode. Raid 1 under this isn't bad unless you start loading up the disk i/o. If you want hardware raid you'll need a 3ware card.

You mean LSI. 3Ware doesn't exist anymore.

I wouldn't suggest SSD yet, as the linux kernel in Untangle doesn't have TRIM support yet.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Ditto for what Sky said..

Master Untangler

Little update: system still going strong. Memory has climbed slowly and is around 1570MB now. No problems to report!

and it will. Thats nothing to be concerned with.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!