Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32bit and 64bit

Untangler

Default 32bit and 64bit

I have an old PC machine with Petium D and 1.5GB memory and 160GB Harddisk. and I have 40users in the LAN. 4MB fiber internet connecton.

1. does it support to install untangel 7.4.1 64bit?
    2. what is the benifit if I install 64bit version?

the other quesiton:

----if I install untangle 7.4.1 on this old PC. Will my internet browsing speed be slow down? I mean the normal web browsing.

---if I buy a 3.0GB Mhz CPU and 2GB memory, compare them, if my internet web browsing speed will much faster than install on the old PC?

Untangle Ninja

A 64 bit version is abit slower but it can handle more than 4 GB Ram.
    As you don't have more than 4 gb ram i would advice you to run the 32 bit version.

http://www.untangle.com/Build-Your-Own-Untangle-Server
    There you can find HW recomendation.
    Code:
    1-50 PCs P4 1 GB 80 GB 2+ NICs
    so it looks like you should be ok with the the hardware you have.
    But the Quality of the nic's are imoportent what do you have?

We need to install 64 bit only when we need to use more than 4 GB RAM?

there is no other benefits for 64 bit?!

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    A 64 bit version is abit slower but it can handle more than 4 GB Ram.
    I found that the 64 bit version is faster on my hardware platform than the 32 bit version by about 30% [+/- 2%] faster. The composition and quality of the hardware platform [motherboard, processors, ram, nics, hard disk] does make a significant difference in performance.

new version of 64bit from release notes say it is faster, but could be from previous 64bit versions.

I would think if properly coded, x64 vs x86 for UT x64 should be faster.

Also OP, you only say a 3Ghz cpu, but which 3Ghz CPU.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

not really in the UT world no..

The only reason to use 64bit is to gain access to more than 3.5gb of ram. If I sell a box with 2gb of ram that may be upgraded to 4gb in the future, I'll go ahead and toss in 64bit.

Using 64bit on a machine that can't ever gain that level of memory utilization is foolish, you're actually burning more ram by adding the extra address space... so there is less thinking space for the machine to utilize.

However, always be aware of both, because as some have indicated here, there are cases when for whatever reason, certain hardware simply runs better on the 64bit side. In general, these days, I use only 64bit. The smallest box I put out has 2gb of ram in it, and the mainboard can handle up to 8gb. And I don't like having to reinstall because I snapped in a pair of new DIMMs.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

There are benefits to 64bit software over 32bit software beyond just having more ram in the system. These include:
    • The ability to address more ram in the same process (32bit is limited to 2GB by default on windows. I'm not sure on linux and even for windows it can be overridden).
    • Access to more cpu registers (this is a big one)
    • Access to new cpu instructions

There are also disadvantages to 64bit software vs 32bit software:
    • Every integer variable used in the program takes up twice as much memory, meaning that you:
    • Have to load a larger executable image into memory
    • Need more memory for every integer (especially including pointers) in the program's working set
    These differences usually translate into a clear win on 64bit -aware systems, because for most programs the majority of their memory-resident data is string variables and binary image data (byte arrays). There are lots of pointers and other integers, but this other data usually outweighs it by a significant margin such that the move to 64bit is big win overall.

However, my personal experience is that this does not hold for Untangle. The two possible reasons for this that I can think of are that: 1) Untangle deals primarily with IP addresses. IP addresses are, in their simplest form, 32bit integers. When you suddenly double the storage needed for all those addresses, you're in big trouble. Now Java integers are defined to be 32bits, but it's possible that the jvm is still using 64bit 'native' integers in the background to line up with the cpu registers. ... and 2) The java vm itself may not take advantage of some of the performance benefits offered on the 64bit platform, leaving of necessity only the negative differences.

So, for untangle at least, stick to the 32bit edition until you need to pass 4Gb of RAM (and when you do, make sure you do so by a wide margin).
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 10-31-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

It's an old wife's tale that 64-bit is slower. It's not. The 64-bit instruction sets on Intel/AMD processors can achieve fewer clock cycles per instructions for many well used processes. This gives a very noticable increase in speed for a lot of tasks. Especially in networking.

Basically, 64-bit is not JUST about the memory. If you can use 64-bit, you should.

www dot bit-tech dot net/bits/2007/10/16/64-bit_more_than_just_the_ram/1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast