Untangler

Default Untangle stops passing traffic

I am helping a client with a unique installation scenario. His internet connection is a cellular broadband connection by Verizon Wireless (in a remote location, no DSL or Cable). He is using a CradlePoint Adapter to transparently bridge the USB Modem to a Ethernet port, which is connected to the WAN port of Untangle.

At least once a day, the Untangle unit stops passing traffic, Normally we can ping the internal NIC, but any outbound traffic is stopped, we cannot ping known good IP's (8.8.8.8, etc) on the WAN. The only option is to restart the unit, and things start working again.

We have tried updating from 7.4 to 8.0, as well as trying two different computers to eliminate faulty memory, etc. I have quite a few hard ware devices built just like this one functioning 100% fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Could it be something with Verizon's connection?

The issue I am seeing is that after a while, a couple of days, I lose connectivity through VPN between sites. Internet seems to stop too. Basically the whole untangle stop responding and the only solution, restart.

Default Similar Issue

I've been running Untangle for a couple of months now. Once a week, at different times, the box stops traffic and DHCP on the internal interface. The DMZ or external interface usually remains up, although there has been times when it has stopped too. The only solution has been to shutdown, disconnect from the power source and boot up again. That's right, rebooting doesn't work as while rebooting the NICs seem to remain powered, and that seems to be part of the issue. I've tried a number of times, and rebooting doesn't get us back on track, I have to physically disconnect from the power source to power the unit down altogether, then boot up again.

I have two generic GNics in this server unit. The rest of the machine is a stock Lenovo MT-M series. I'm thinking Intel NICs might be helpful... but any other ideas?

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I disconnected the power source physically so it works....then after a while the internal interface disconnects again.... what can I do?!, it may be that this PC is not designed to work continuously...I will try to power off the untangle server at night and stay to see what will happen in the next week...

These issues are often difficult to nail down. A little more information about your hardware would be helpful. Specifically, what kind of processor, ram, and network cards do you have.

Another thing to look at is reports. Look at your reports under system and server around the time of day things stop working. Do you see a spike in load, cpu utilization, memory utilization, swap usage, or session count? Any one of these things could account for your issues. I will say, this type of behavior is not typical. We have many Untangle routers in the field that have been powered on for years without a restart.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!