Default Boot to black screen

Okay, I don't know why but I always seem to have trouble getting Untangle installed. I picked up a refurbished HP/Compaq DC5750 desktop with an Athlon X2 CPU and 1GB Ram, and an 80 GB HD.

When the system boots it stalled at first, I remembered from another system to select High Res mode and that seemed to work, but once the splash screen seemed to indicate bootup was complete and I am expecting the setup screens it is just black instead.

Pressing the power button I see the splash screen right away while the system is shutting down.

I haver done some searching, but I have not yet found a solution.

All I can say is...

Welcome to the joys of working with the Debian operating system.

It sounds like you have an incompatible monitor / video card / KVM in the mix.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Rremoved the KVM switch and now the green line on the splash screen doesn't get 1/4 of the way and it freezes.

I have never had trouble installing Ubuntu and that is Debian.

I guess I will grab a separate monitor and reinstall the whole thing.

I am really frustrated now because it seems every time I try and set one of these systems up I run into problems just like this one. What is the point of making an easy to use and configure firewall and then build it in a way that your target market has such headaches setting it up! How many people just walked away at this point having never successfully experienced how beautiful this product is?

I will report back after reinstalling with new monitor, keyboard and mouse. I can only imagine how fickle this server is if god forbid you change the monitor later? Just fails to boot and the whole system needs to be reinstalled?

Try pressing CTRL ALT + a few times. X is displaying a screen res. your monitor cant display. VTRL ALT + or CTRL ALT - (The + and - on the number pad only) manually cycles screen resolutions. So you will likely be able to find one the will atleast display on your monitor.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Thanks proactivens, but I already reinstalled and finally see the racks. That is a great tip that I will try next time.

Ditched the KVM and all systems go after reinstalling. I changed the monitor too, so not sure if it is the KVM or the monitor.

Strange thing though... I have used this same KVM setup on past installations without this specific issue. Must be something new in 8.1.

Anyway thanks for your help. I guess it is cheaper to buy a UT-NG 25, huh sky-night? Maybe next time.

That problem is not a new issue. Its been around since version 6.0.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

It's best to find a video/monitor combination that works but if you are having video issues, use hardware safe mode in the grub boot screen.

Quote Originally Posted by smileybri View Post
    Rremoved the KVM switch and now the green line on the splash screen doesn't get 1/4 of the way and it freezes.

I have never had trouble installing Ubuntu and that is Debian.

I guess I will grab a separate monitor and reinstall the whole thing.

I am really frustrated now because it seems every time I try and set one of these systems up I run into problems just like this one. What is the point of making an easy to use and configure firewall and then build it in a way that your target market has such headaches setting it up! How many people just walked away at this point having never successfully experienced how beautiful this product is?

I will report back after reinstalling with new monitor, keyboard and mouse. I can only imagine how fickle this server is if god forbid you change the monitor later? Just fails to boot and the whole system needs to be reinstalled?
    At least this comunity forums compensates, not?
    Try to get decent support in another forums
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Interesting.. This happened to both my setups as well. First on UT 8.0 and later on a brand new UT box with 8.1.

Tried to reboot several times, still no final GUI.. Then when I decided to go for the high res option, just by pressing the "arrow down" key, while on the boot menu , it felt like the system mistook it for an Enter command and started to boot. ( I never pressed Enter, and this happened rougly 2 sec after menu appeared )

Well. The system booted normally, and automagically, GUI with graphical rack was there.

Server been up for 6 days. Works perfect.

Many tanks UT team, for producing a great open source system

( Detached mouse, keyboard & monitor now, still works, even after issuing a couple of reboots from LAN via webserver/browser. But seems to be different opinions on this forum whether it is wise to run UT headless ?? )
    Last edited by henke; 03-02-2011 at 02:20 PM.