Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Or take the easy way out and pick one of the many Untangle partners that know how to properly build the box up front and go buy a box from them.

http://www.untangle.com/Partners/Find

Some googling will yield even more options for you.

An Atom based solution is a bit light for your needs. If you didn't have all those VPN users, I'd say you could use one. However, with the CPU load of the VPN + the CPU load of the SPAM engine things could get entertaining. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work, it just means I'd be a bit gun shy about suggesting an atom.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I didn't get the impression that he's using untangle for the vpn though - he's already got the vpn solution in place (I think it's vpn clients inside his network accessing an outside service of some sort). Yes, I agree though, even the fastest atom would be a little on the thin side if he really wanted to run that many simultaneous vpn connections using untangle's openvpn.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 03-04-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Untangle Ninja

also, one bit of information missing is how fast the internet connection is. people want to say that an atom isn't fast enough for X number of users, but untangle really doesn't handle USERS, it handles TRAFFIC. Yes, the number of users is certainly a consideration, but the speed of the current internet connection, and of any likely upgrade, is the key. In my area nobody has really fast internet... lots of single and dual T-1's, 3 and 6 megabit DSL, one client uses cable but even that's only 7 megabit. Higher speeds are usually stupid-expensive (like thousands of dollars per month). I know in other areas it's common to have 20 megabit and higher speeds for very reasonable prices. so that colors my view of how many users you can handle with a given box. if someone says "I've got 70 users doing heavy internet on a 50mbps connection, and we want to run spam/virus/vpn and a few other modules", I won't say "use an atom".

This is true. Your going to need some more horse power to run that kind of connection. At that point, your talking about sessions more than bandwidth. How many sessions can Untangle run without slowing down. I'd say an Atom could run a 50Mbit connection for 20 users, no problem. Over 50, its time to get a better processor and some more ram.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12