Default Recommended NICs?

I have a Dell PowerEdge T105 with a single onboard Broadcom gigabit NIC. I'd like to add a second NIC to run Untangle.

I've been browsing the Intel selection of PCIe NICs at Newegg. My question is, will the cheapest Intel desktop NIC do? Or do I need the server grade NICs with all the advanced 802.3 protocols?

What advantages do the server grade NICs have over the desktop NICs?

Thanks!

Server grade interfaces can withstand higher loads without buckling. The question is how large is your network? Most applications can get away with the $30 desktop adapters just fine.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Server grade interfaces can withstand higher loads without buckling. The question is how large is your network? Most applications can get away with the $30 desktop adapters just fine.
    Hi sky-knight, thanks for the reply!

This is just for home use and for me to get familiar with the interface should I choose to offer Untangle as a solution to my clients in the future. So to answer your question about 5-8 clients and two servers.

Then the only reason to get the desktop Intel is to make sure you're never going to have to worry about a high speed home cable line. Any interface cheaper than the $30 Intel will have a 20mb limitation.

So yeah, get that nice cheap GT and enjoy.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Then the only reason to get the desktop Intel is to make sure you're never going to have to worry about a high speed home cable line. Any interface cheaper than the $30 Intel will have a 20mb limitation.

So yeah, get that nice cheap GT and enjoy.
    Thanks for the advice. So let me make sure if I am understanding you correctly. Adapters cheaper than the $30 Intel will be capped at 20mb throughput? Are you talking about other brands (D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc)? I currently have a 30 Mbps down/25 Mbps up FiOS connection at home. The Intel should take care of it right?

Also, should I have the integrated Broadcom NIC hooked to the WAN and the Intel hooked to the internal LAN or vice versa? Does it matter?
    Last edited by htrieu; 03-14-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Master Untangler

Sheesh according to the Fedora thread, be careful with your answers sky...... would hate to see you "guessing" again

Yeah just get a decent Intel desktop interface to fit your system and you'll be fine on the FiOS.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by ISHRAT View Post
    i am agree with sky night just get better intel desktop
    let me just say right now that i am a fan of your spam...wait, no i am not. die spammer!