Untanglit

Default Untangle hangs on boot after 8.0 upgrade

Hi all,

For some reason my Untangle box (Dell Optiplex 620) decided to kick users off the system this morning, for no reason, so i had to reboot it.

Now i've had this problem for a while but hoped regular updates would solve it, but it still remains. The box hangs on the splash screen with the green bar across the bottom everytime it boots. Eventually if i keep trying it will boot fine but it can take 20 or so restarts to achieve.

I've found another chap on the forum with same problem (but cannot add the URL as post count is less than 5). It's here:

forums.untangle.com/hardware/19399-untangle-hangs-boot-after-upgrade-8-0-a.html

Going into hardware workaround mode it boots fine everytime, but if for any reason i need to reboot the box remotely i'm stuffed.

Any ideas? Duff hardware perhaps?

Thanks all.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "hangs", but whenever I reboot my Untangle box (AMD Athlon 64 3200+ [single core]) and once X starts (i.e., I get the green bar at the bottom of the screen), it can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes (for some reason this time varies widely, and I haven't come up with a reasonable explanation as to why) to get to the point at which I can bring up IceWeasel on the console. BUT, traffic to the Internet starts flowing before it even starts X (more than likely not getting filtered since I am going to assume that the UVM hasn't finished starting at that point).

This is on my home network with Untangle v8.1.1 32bit.

How long have you waited for the system to come fully up before forcing it to reboot again? Also, is your OptiPlex with a P4 or a Celeron chip? Both options for the 620 are single-core slow-ish (by today's standards) CPUs. How much memory is in the machine? The 620 uses slow DDR2 RAM (667 or 533) so, again, that's slowing down your startup processes.

If you've got an excessively long boot, get into /var/log and look at kern.log.

I had a box start taking ages to boot and turns out the hard disk was going bad. It was doing the linux version of chkdsk on every boot!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks sky-knight! I looked in my kern.log and saw that it did a fsck on the last couple boots, but nothing major, and the total time taken on the fsck was less than a second (had a few orphaned files). Other than that, nothing but normal messages in there.

To awoodier, you should definitely check that as well. Sky makes a VERY valid point on this, especially if you're getting real hangs and not just delays like me. Fair warning.... if it's in the middle of doing a fsck and you physically reboot the machine, you could further damage the file system.
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 05-23-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarity

Untanglit

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, i completely forgot to check back on here!

It's been agreed that we need a dedicated server for this system now and so new hardware will be ordered shortly, in the meantime increasing the RAM in this PC improved performance and seemed to solve the hang at boot. Very odd.

Thanks for your input guys!