Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Core i5 vs AMD Phenom II X4??

I'm working on a new UT build for a school and am trying to decide what CPU to go with. The UT will have the education standard package and multiple policy's. It will also run 4 separated networks (UT lite currently running 3, very smoothly) Our internet is a cable connection currently at 12mbps (hoping to upgrade to 50 as soon as our ISP is offering it in a few months)
    Looking at 4gb of ram and 64bit UT.
    We don't have the budget to buy actual server hardware at the moment. I have seen some dual Xeon dual core workstations on geeks for good prices but, again, not sure if these will handle things smoothly.
    Any suggestions?

I would go with the core i5. The current processors from AMD work really well when you're virtualizing. For everything else the chip's inbuilt ability to power down all but one core and auto overclock is just too universally useful.

Of course, the flip side is that I doubt you'll see any real different in Untangle performance.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the reply. The benefit to AMD was the cost but I do prefer Intel chips over AMD. TigerDirect has some good barebones deals at the moment with the i5.
    With the configuration mentioned, are these CPU's at all underpowered? I want to avoid running into hardware issues relating to speed and would rather go up now than later.

Untangle Ninja

Functionally, there's little difference between AMD and Intel CPU's, and there's little or no difference between 'server' and 'desktop' CPU's. But don't underestimate the value of a decent server-class mainboard. Look at this one for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182257

You get quad Intel gigabit interfaces, integrated management controller and a real server board. You can put any of the newer desktop CPU's in that have integrated video, or the new Xeon E3 CPU which costs very little more.

Untangler

Thats a nice board, although I believe its a bit out of reach at the moment.
    The board I was looking at was an MSI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-583-_-Product

This would be coupled with (at the moment) the i5, but again not wanting a system thats "barely" working for this set up. I would like "extra" horsepower.

Well, server design is what it is and we don't have near enough detail to really help you there. What I can tell you is that currently the NG series hardware is running on all desktop grade equipment. The server grade stuff will be available soon.

The NG-1000 is the first one with a quad core. So, you do the math on how many clients you've got and what you think you need.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Alright. I was going off of UT's hardware recommendation list with a dual core for 51-150 pcs. I'm currently using a PentiumD with 2gb of ram (with about 100 pcs behind it) and while the CPU does spike periodically its been fairly solid. I had read that the full web filter (formerly eSoft) was somewhat of a usage hog. I have no experience with it so was not sure what to expect.
    Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by hs-admin View Post
    I had read that the full web filter (formerly eSoft) was somewhat of a usage hog. I have no experience with it so was not sure what to expect.
    feel free to install the trial and check it out; all paid apps (except Branding Manager) come with 14 day trials to use and abuse.

Untangler

hlarson, I had forgot about the trials. I will give that a try this week and see how it runs on my current set up. Thanks.

The premium filter? A utilization hog?

No... it's the Lite filter that eats your box for lunch, and that is ram not CPU. The paid filter is no heavier than a DNS request. Now, when the servers fall over... that makes things slow but UT's load is still nice and light.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast