Untangler

Default 5.1.0 or 5.0.3, installs fine, but unconfigurable.

Hi,

I am having a hard time to believe Untangle is broken in such a way that it exhibits the same behaviour on just about any motherboard, any amount of RAM and any processor I throw at it.
    I went through 6 different makes and models motherboards of Asus, A-Open, Intel, MSI, and I ran out.
    Basically, I can install 5.0.3 fine. I can also install 5.1.0 just fine.

What does not work however is, the client where things are supposed to be configurable. The 'rack' as I see people call it, is empty, it states 'click to install' but there's nothing to click on!
    Pressing the large button labeled "Which applications should I use?" ends up with an "internal error ()" on 5.0.3, and 5.1.0 is asking me where to save "index.php".
    All that happens on the local Untangle box. I'm typing this message from the Untangle box, so something is at least working!
    I get basically the same results when using a remote web browser.
    I have already tried to redownload the ISO file, verify it, and burn it to a new disc - it doesn't help.
    Changing the DVD drive doesn't help, neither does a CD-Rom drive, new or old.
    The board i'm currently running Untangle on is an Intel Desktop Board, type D865GVHZ, 3Ghz Intel Prescott HT enabled processor, 512MB DDR 400Mhz Dual-channel RAM, 40GB Maxtor HDD, LG DVD-Rom drive, 3 3Com 309xx PCI NICs. This board has onboard graphics, and no slot for AGP/PCI-e graphics cards.

Any suggestions before I abandon the effort?

mdh

That usually means that you have connectivity issues. Try swapping your cables around. You will still have some functionality that appears normal, so don't be sure unless you try that. As far as the CD burn, I tell people *never* to burn at any speed faster than 8x. I'd bet on the first thing I mentioned.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    That usually means that you have connectivity issues. Try swapping your cables around. You will still have some functionality that appears normal, so don't be sure unless you try that. As far as the CD burn, I tell people *never* to burn at any speed faster than 8x. I'd bet on the first thing I mentioned.
    I see what you mean now. Roughly 15 minutes after it was hooked up in it's final settlement (the server rack is downstairs, my workshop on the 2nd floor. It's a pain to sit in the severely noisy server room, as you probably have experienced sometime) something started to work inside Untangle and a couple of extra buttons appeared in the Library. It then took another 30 odd minutes before it was done populating the rack with everything but the kitchen sink

I may have overlooked it, but perhaps it is wise to emphasize in the setup guides that a working Internet connection is mandatory for setup to complete? I noticed that the Open Source package had to be downloaded live, it apparently is not a part of the CD itself, which is also not mentioned (unless i've missed that, too).
    When I saw Firefox serving me the .php files as downloads, I immediately assumed a misconfigured webserver (As I already established the new hardware was not at fault through bench tests), and spent the remaining hours of the day trawling through all the config files, and all for nothing. oh geekdom :/

Now that it's finally looking more like the screenshots and descriptions people are writing about, I must say that the whole thing is pretty good looking speaking from a feature angle. Monday i'll have a chance to try it out in a live setup on the big network and see how it performs, right now it's only connected to the 2Mbit ADSL 'net connection on it's own and not to the internal network.

I have some other 'gripes' concerning resource usage and the way Untangle hardwires the NICs into the setup but I don't want to deviate from the subject too much, perhaps another time after some more testing.

mdh

I just checked our Quick Start Guides, and the guide for our hardware makes it much clearer that the network connection is required. Its there (but hidden) in the download quick start guide. You've got a point!

Both the Professional and Open Source packages must be downloaded. That's partly because applications get upgraded, partly because of faster hardware build times, and partially because we don't want to keep a ton of media on hand.

Go ahead and kick the tires, see what you like and what you don't. Remember that the forums are here to help you. Let us know what you think, good and bad!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    I just checked our Quick Start Guides, and the guide for our hardware makes it much clearer that the network connection is required. Its there (but hidden) in the download quick start guide. You've got a point!

Both the Professional and Open Source packages must be downloaded. That's partly because applications get upgraded, partly because of faster hardware build times, and partially because we don't want to keep a ton of media on hand.

Go ahead and kick the tires, see what you like and what you don't. Remember that the forums are here to help you. Let us know what you think, good and bad!
    Alright, thanks
    Understood about the downloads as well. Will post back tomorrow along the day somewhere if I get the chance.

Untangler

Well, i'm back. had a rather rough week, so I haven't been working on Untangle at all lately.
    On top of that it doesn't look like i'll get to use Untangle for my school network at all, haven't heard back from management nor will it be likely that when I do i'll get to implement Untangle instead of something like SurfControl on M$ ISA Server.
    One positive note however, the 2GB RAM I ordered before the bad week arrived today, so i'll at least get to play with that and see just how much gain the apparently Java heavy Untangle will get from that.

Untangler

Just to dig up an old thread I started;
    The machine I described in this thread is now sitting directly behind the ISP's router, and we've run a full working day and I heard no screams coming from down the halls.
    Since I heard nothing back from management but complaints about spam from just about everyone, during an unannounced (by ISP) cable outage I took the UT machine into the server room and plugged it into the main network.

One fresh install of 5.3 later and it looks like this:

ISP Cable Modem - ISP 8xx Series Cisco Router - Untangle (Bridge Mode) - MS ISA Server - LAN

Barely took 40 minutes to get that working including the clean install and magically getting the cable back online.

Quite elaborate I suppose, but there's parts of this setup I cannot change for technical reasons.
    The ISP equipment (Modem + Router) is mandatory and access to their configs is denied by the ISP.
    ISA server is required for our Active Directory integration with workstations and group policies for MS ISA Firewall Client.

So, that's that. Untangle now has until the end of the current school year to prove itself worthy under the harsh quick-typing hands of roughly 500 users and some 220 workstations, and still growing each day.