Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CADman_ks View Post
    One bad thing about 1U and 2U chassis is that since they are so small in height, the fans that they use are really small. While that's not really a problem, the problem comes in the fact that they have to move a LOT of air for their size.

That generally means that they are either spinning faster than normal or are super aggressive to get the air to move, either which make fans that are fairly noisy when compared to other setups.

I had a 1U server that tested for a while, and it was horrifically loud, almost siren like. I now have a 2U server, and while it's quieter, it's still loud at the end of the day. Because of that, it has to sit in a room by itself locked from all humans, because the noise would drive you crazy.
    All our clients have dedicated closets or rooms for network equipment, so a fan being loud isn't an issue. Also most server drives or fans would drown out that noise as well. Not a huge concern for me, maybe others.

We have 1U devices ready to go, and they can get quite loud. However, the bios has a thermal control option you can enable that works wonderfully. I've got two going two feet from me and the video card fan in my desktop makes far more noise.

So if you're going to do the 1U thing, just make sure you get speed controls on the fans and you're good.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

So if you're going to do the 1U thing, just make sure you get speed controls on the fans and you're good.
    I have an HP DL380 G3, and it SUPPOSEDLY has fan controls from what I've read, and I believe that you can enable that in the BIOS (it's been a while since I've been in there), but it doesn't make a difference.

There's also some tools that you can get from HP that you're supposed to be able to install, and it's supposed to take care that. I've installed that on my UT installation, and it didn't make one iota of difference.

In fact, when I recently repaved the machine, I didn't even bother putting the HP stuff on there, because it doesn't work with my box, or at least I don't know how to configure it, so it just screams away in the basement.

CADman_ks
    Last edited by CADman_ks; 10-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by firedrow View Post
    All our clients have dedicated closets or rooms for network equipment, so a fan being loud isn't an issue. Also most server drives or fans would drown out that noise as well. Not a huge concern for me, maybe others.
    I was talking more to the OP who indicated that he was going to use it for home use.

CADman_ks

Quote Originally Posted by CADman_ks View Post
    I have an HP DL380 G3, and it SUPPOSEDLY has fan controls from what I've read, and I believe that you can enable that in the BIOS (it's been a while since I've been in there), but it doesn't make a difference.

There's also some tools that you can get from HP that you're supposed to be able to install, and it's supposed to take care that. I've installed that on my UT installation, and it didn't make one iota of difference.

In fact, when I recently repaved the machine, I didn't even bother putting the HP stuff on there, because it doesn't work with my box, or at least I don't know how to configure it, so it just screams away in the basement.

CADman_ks
    Well I can't speak for HP, but I know my stuff ships with the thermal controls on the fans disabled. All you have to do is hit the BIOS and turn them on. The thing screams like a banshee for about 5 seconds that cuts RPMs back to less than half and life is all quiet again.

I don't rely on external software for this stuff, I find it too unreliable. If the BIOS doesn't handle it properly, it just doesn't work in my experience.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default Supermicro SuperServer SYS-5017C-LF

Has anyone confirmed Untangle with work with the Supermicro SuperServer SYS-5017C-LF? I am new to Untangle and this will be my first UT build. This UT box will replace my Sonicwall Pro2040. Any suggestion or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I also have been looking at a Biostar BBSH551U has anyone used these? the price seems good at $200 dollars. I can't post the link but it's on Newegg.com
    Last edited by edancas; 10-28-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by edancas View Post
    Has anyone confirmed Untangle with work with the Supermicro SuperServer SYS-5017C-LF? I am new to Untangle and this will be my first UT build. This UT box will replace my Sonicwall Pro2040. Any suggestion or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I also have been looking at a Biostar BBSH551U has anyone used these? the price seems good at $200 dollars. I can't post the link but it's on Newegg.com

Should work perfectly, just remember to get the proper ram & cpu.

Would be a nice little unit.. Remember to upgrade the Bios before you install.

To get this running you will need :

Cpu
    Ram (2-4 gigs )
    Hard drive ( laptop drive or desktop )
    usb cd rom OR sata one ( only needed to install os )

[QUOTE=I also have been looking at a Biostar BBSH551U has anyone used these? [/QUOTE]

I used to be a fan of BIOSTAR a loooong time ago....at least 10 years ago they were a good value, but today's BIOSTAR products are not the same if you ask me. They are typically more unstable in the long-haul and the ones I last used would puke when you try to upgrade the BIOS, but that's my honest opinion from about 3 years ago and I swore them off after that.

For the record:
    I have UT deployed at about 5 different clients as well as at my own house (my kids hate the reports feature on the house unit! ) and all of these deployments are on the Supermicro 502L-200B (D525 dual-core atom CPU with 4GB RAM and dual Intel G-bit LAN's). They work fantastic and hardly make any noise, some are using SATA desktop drives, some are using WD Black edition SATA laptop drives and one is on a SATA SSD. I bought all of these from Dave at "US Rackmounts", he sells them on eBay and I have had great luck with his stuff. They're 1U, half rack-depth and the SSD machine makes almost no heat and no noise whatsoever. I know some have opinion bashed the whole Atom CPU family, but on the Supermicro platform, they have been flawless for me and UT has been my platform of choice when I can convince the customer to spend a little to get a LOT!

Loads of luck to you on your BIOSTAR project if you buy it....

James
    "PCJack"

That's good to hear that you've had good luck with the Atom processors. The Atoms are generally lower cost and from my research it's easier to find the form factor I'm looking for.

I'm continuing my search for 1U short depth server and found the SUPERMICRO SYS-5017C-LF 1U on Newegg.com. Since it accepts a core i3 I may go with it. Has anyone had success with it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast