Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default 1U server for home

I have no doubt this has been discussed, but unfortunately forum software doesn't let you look up "1U" and "i3" since they are too short, but that's what I am after.

Can anyone recommend a low power 1U server (or motherboard designed to fit like that) with an i3 processor? I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that modern i3 processors run about as low as an Atom for power, while being much more powerful. I assume Intel processors would be the best too. Thanks.

The worst Atom processor (D5xx series) has a 13W TDP, and they get as low as 1.3W. The best i3 (2100T) has a 35W TDP. Most are 65W.

But an i3 will destroy an Atom for performance. A quick google for 1U 2100T turned up this result:
    http://mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ER1USMX9SCLFCORE
    That already has 2 Intel Nics onboard. Bump it to 4GB RAM and add a hard drive, and you've got a nice untangle system that should be able to handle a couple hundred users for <$600.

Looking for Atom-based systems, you should be able to do it for closer to <$450, but I wouldn't trust them for more than about 40 users, depending on what you're doing.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 09-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    The worst Atom processor (D5xx series) has a 13W TDP, and they get as low as 1.3W. The best i3 (2100T) has a 35W TDP. Most are 65W.

But an i3 will destroy an Atom for performance.
    TDP is not what a processor actually uses though. Although to be fair, its the power of the processor + chipset combo that matters too.

The I3 will have more 'idle' time and use less of the TDP, while the ATOM will spend most of it's life 'busy' maxing the TDP out.

If you can afford it, that I3 link would be a nice box. Though I would emphasize that you heavily consider how many users you want to contain, and how many of the features you want to enable. I found Atoms and antivirus to be a losing situation with heavy data loads while most of the rest of the features ran just fine. Common sense should guide you though, most Atom users on the forum tend to be small households with 5 or less machines, and usually 1-2 of those machines actively using the WAN. If you are a heavy user, or just want piece of mind, the I3 will be enough juice to easily handle most of the loads any normal human non-cyborg home.

Untangler

Yah, I have no desire for an Atom. That linked i3 above looks good. I assume the NICs and chipset are supported by Untangle/Lenny?

It's an X9-series motherboard, which isn't listed yet in the untangle hcl or lenny hcl (it's too new), but I would be very surprised if it didn't work.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

SuperMicro's motherboards have been rock solid for me with Untangle
    They have a fairly new model that supports i3's
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/s...S-5017C-LF.cfm

Untangler

Same ? as before. Any known issues with Debian Lenny/Untangle on the newer chipsets?

Thanks!

Has anyone tried this setup yet? I would like to propose the SuperMicro 5017C with the i3 2100T for our company to start doing internal testing but don't want them to find out it doesn't work and scrap the project all together.

Untangler

One bad thing about 1U and 2U chassis is that since they are so small in height, the fans that they use are really small. While that's not really a problem, the problem comes in the fact that they have to move a LOT of air for their size.

That generally means that they are either spinning faster than normal or are super aggressive to get the air to move, either which make fans that are fairly noisy when compared to other setups.

I had a 1U server that tested for a while, and it was horrifically loud, almost siren like. I now have a 2U server, and while it's quieter, it's still loud at the end of the day. Because of that, it has to sit in a room by itself locked from all humans, because the noise would drive you crazy.

I noticed that this server in the link provided only has one fan in the power supply, and while that may cool that box, I'd bet that it will still be louder than a typical PC.

Just something to think about, depending on where you're going to install this thing...

CADman_ks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast