Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Ok for a UT Server? PRIMERGY TX100 S2

I just got an email that the Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX100 S2 server is available for $299. It seems to have decent specs for a low end machine. If I add a NIC card, should Untangle run ok on this?

Link

Link to specs from Fujitsu

It should work, depending on what the onboard nic is. Go intel for the add in nic and it should work out fine.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

Thanks. We are only supporting about 10 users and our current setup is overkill.

This setup would be overkill as well, but better to have more than not enough!
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

Update. The $299 fujitsu server + (2) intel Pro Nic cards works fine. I am also using the onboard NIC (Intel, I believe).

Anyone else want to use this budget 'server' make sure to disable software RAID first.

Thanks for the help.

overkill is awesome, i love over kill, a new UT box i am working on is going to consist of a spare i7 820 quad with HT and 8G of ram on a new intel 80g SSD
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by xweb View Post
    Update. The $299 fujitsu server + (2) intel Pro Nic cards works fine. I am also using the onboard NIC (Intel, I believe).

Anyone else want to use this budget 'server' make sure to disable software RAID first.

Thanks for the help.
    Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered one to replace my ailing Dell SC440. Any other changes in the BIOS other than disabling RAID (ACH?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    overkill is awesome, i love over kill, a new UT box i am working on is going to consist of a spare i7 820 quad with HT and 8G of ram on a new intel 80g SSD
    That's a "spare" a machine with an almost $300 CPU in it?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by xweb View Post

Thanks for the help.
    I use these servers as FreeNAS devices and they're great. I also just got one and built a new UT device. I used one of the "Almost Free 10/100" Intel NICs available here on the forums in it. I'm planning to put the thing into production this weekend.

These servers are great bang for the buck in my opinion.
    MiniPilote

They're calling that a "Server"? LOL. It's a desktop....plain and simple..well..tower. I don't see anything "Server" grade in it. desktop processor, desktop SATA hard drive, 1 year warranty (who gets a server with a 1 year warranty...OUCH!)...no RAID. Honestly I've seen far superior "workstations"..this thing makes me think eMachine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast