Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Aha now it makes sense with the NICs..I love the case, the only thing I think it'd make it better if it was in piano black (shiny black in sony language)

Under $300, it's not even worth dealing with homemade boxes in my opinion either..building an ITX box may be the way to go

Master Untangler

The jetway board is dual 1gb nic. No need for a DMZ, that's the last thing you want in a business enviroment.

I want to start powdercoating them a bright orange, i'll test it out and post pics in the next week or 2

Care to explain your stance on DMZ?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

hey you know i know a way to build a system for untangle for under $150.00

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by neas15us View Post
    hey you know i know a way to build a system for untangle for under $150.00
    please explain.....

Master Untangler

says it all in the following attachment and the price is minus the shipping

Master Untangler

this setup doesnt include hard drive/case or power supply.....

Master Untangler

yea well i have tons of spares layin around my place but for that price it takes care of the most important parts

For putting Untangle into production at businesses...I'd want "enterprise grade hardware"....or at the very least, "business grade hardware". I'd shy away from bottom name brand hardware.

Business grade hardware usually means something with at least a 3 year warranty, especially hard drives..with MTBF of at least 750,000 hours. Stepping up to enterprise grade..that means a 5 year warranty...hard drives with a MTBF of at least 1.2 million hours.

Quality network cards to handle the traffic

Quality power supply, quality brand RAM.

A good source for these is looking for earlier P4 "small form factor" business desktops. Very easy to find these on the 'net and keep well within your budget....factory refurb or just off-lease boxes....slap a new Seagate 'Cuda cool running quiet hard drive in there and feel comfy about a long lifetime.

You can find these small form factor boxes cheap on the 'net...the ones I commonly use are either IBM NetVistas, or HP/Compaq Evo/Business Desktop models...they all have "small form factor" versions...an onboard Intel NIC, a PCI riser card so you can install a 2nd NIC such as another Intel Pro or a 3COM 905, very compatible good chipsets on the motherboard..usually Intel.

Business grade models will usually have a good quality motherboard....compatible chipset such as Intel...so makes for a nice easy install, no issues, small quiet box that's more likely to be trouble free and give a long life.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 05-12-2008 at 03:54 AM.

Master Untangler

With all that time spent typing out a hamburger essay, you could have spent the 30 seconds to realize that Jetway Motherboards and products are Industrial Grade.

More then likely you own several items, including your car, that was manufactured thanks to a Jetway. If you ever go out to Vegas, 99% chance the slot machine you are playing on uses a Jetway. What about the ATM? probably.

Thank you for the input on various other parts though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast