Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

i think should be an 1U rack mount version. the following IOK china built case costs only US$100 (include power transformer). Plus, special 1U heat-sink should cost something of US$30.

We may call it Untangle Pro.

Untangler

bumping this post as I am looking for something similar. Is 1 gig of ram going to do it though? Looking for similar products with more RAM slots now but just throwing this out there to see if someone already has some in mind

Rackable makes some stupid cheap 1U servers (i've seen refurbs go for $190). Assuming that their low end (dual 2GHz opteron, 120 GB sata, 4 GB ram, dual gigE) go for around that new, it's probably worth a look. I'm also willing to bet that they do volume discounts.

http://proactivens.net/UNTANGLE_SMB.aspx
    I appologize for my crappy website. Take a look none the less, I have kinda what your looking for. It costs a bit more, but the hardware is a bit beefier than those opteron refurbs you referenced.
    </shameless_plug>

p.s.
    Yes, the LCD screen works and is programable or shell scriptable.

Quote Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
    Rackable makes some stupid cheap 1U servers (i've seen refurbs go for $190). Assuming that their low end (dual 2GHz opteron, 120 GB sata, 4 GB ram, dual gigE) go for around that new, it's probably worth a look. I'm also willing to bet that they do volume discounts.
    brand new rackable servers cost $2-3k each. These guys power google, yahoo, and most of the largest websites in the world. I dont think any of us would qualify for volume pricing.

That's a massive price difference for new and used, are we talking about the same capability? I'm happy with what I've got - dual 2.8 Xeon, 3 GB ram, SCSI 300GB raid 5, dual gigE - plenty of umph for a T1.

mdh

I didn't honk the horn about this a lot...some, but not a lot. I added a section to the wiki in the HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST specifically for VENDORS. I see that PROACTIVENS has added his (James...cool!). Here's a link to it:

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Hardware_Vendors

In my opinion, a box with 1GB RAM can get overburdened if you've got a lot of spam or are anal about logging and blocking everything under the sun. Both need resources. The easiest way to tell if you're screwing the pooch is if spam gets through when reports are running but not any other time. If so, add RAM.

Untanglit

its a morex ITX Chassis No. 5677 pictured above

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Rick@BBM View Post
    1.5ghz Total cost to build is under $300, can't beat that. We are also going to use a new case when we sell these units. It's also around 8x10x2.5 and wallmountable. Plenty of room on for company logos too.
    How would a machine like this hold up as a gateway for an office of ~10 people running a 3MB DSL?

The main goal is malware protection, QoS and site to site VPN. There are a total of 3 offices with 2 more to come within the year. Something this size would be ideal at each of the 3 offices. I'd just like to know if anyone has used 2 or more of these for site to site VPNs.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast