Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD vs HDD?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    I've deployed about 50+ Crucial M4's, I wont deploy anything without SSD's anymore. Unless storage requirements are high that is. For anything more than RAID1, like 5, 6 or 10. I'd opt for RAID friendly SSD's like the Corsair Performance Pro series. I'll be converting my Hyper-V boxes once they get some 512GB version out.

My last remaining Untangle box has a cheap 32GB Kingston. It has been up for over six months now without issue. It's actually an awesomr little NG25 unit.
    SSD's are a waste in a Untangle box, no need to spend the $$ on one, just use a Laptop 2.5" drive can call it done.

32gb SSD is cheaper than 160gb rotating 2.5in.

We started offering them to save money, not spend it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    32gb SSD is cheaper than 160gb rotating 2.5in.

We started offering them to save money, not spend it.
    Well, you can buy a 250gig for 59$ or you can buy a 32gig for 54$ what one is going to last longer is debatable.

Now that I'll give you, even with perfect wear leveling (which has little to do with TRIM I might add). The 32gb drive, at full allocation in an Untangle application by the numbers I have here, will last 2-2.5 years. The rotating drive should last 3-3.5 years.

So IMHO, the rotating drive is still a better option. However, given that the 32gb ssd is cheaper than the 160gb rotating drive (my numbers are considerably lower than you've reported here). I give people the option. Also, most people don't do product research, and my warranty is 1 year long unless you buy the upgrade. And, somewhere along the way you get tired of not selling stuff because you're trying to tell people what they need, vs what they want.

You just start selling what they want, and wait for the world to blow up. As long as it blows up outside of warranty, I could care less. For those that actually care, they can call, I provide the honest answer to the best of my ability, and I sell a box that won't break for ages.

BTW the oldest SSD we have the field is 1.5 years old and still kicking. And it's in a really hostile environment too.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Now that I'll give you, even with perfect wear leveling (which has little to do with TRIM I might add). The 32gb drive, at full allocation in an Untangle application by the numbers I have here, will last 2-2.5 years. The rotating drive should last 3-3.5 years.

So IMHO, the rotating drive is still a better option. However, given that the 32gb ssd is cheaper than the 160gb rotating drive (my numbers are considerably lower than you've reported here). I give people the option. Also, most people don't do product research, and my warranty is 1 year long unless you buy the upgrade. And, somewhere along the way you get tired of not selling stuff because you're trying to tell people what they need, vs what they want.

You just start selling what they want, and wait for the world to blow up. As long as it blows up outside of warranty, I could care less. For those that actually care, they can call, I provide the honest answer to the best of my ability, and I sell a box that won't break for ages.

BTW the oldest SSD we have the field is 1.5 years old and still kicking. And it's in a really hostile environment too.
    Remind me to never promote products from Untangle Appliances EVER!

Fault me for being Dell? Heh go for it all you want. But I give the OPTION, the uSeries has SSD in it no matter what you want. Sorry you're offended that I'm servicing the market.

Bottom line, SSD and rotating disk are functionally equivalent. If you need the storage, get the rotating drive. If you want the SSD and the lower "failure" rates, and are willing to deal with the "oddities" they can present, go for it.

In either event my customers when in trouble can simply call and get the information they need to get back online quickly. I'm only sorry that it took me so long to learn how to work with SSDs, I've misdiagnosed so many...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Fault me for being Dell? Heh go for it all you want. But I give the OPTION, the uSeries has SSD in it no matter what you want. Sorry you're offended that I'm servicing the market.

Bottom line, SSD and rotating disk are functionally equivalent. If you need the storage, get the rotating drive. If you want the SSD and the lower "failure" rates, and are willing to deal with the "oddities" they can present, go for it.

In either event my customers when in trouble can simply call and get the information they need to get back online quickly. I'm only sorry that it took me so long to learn how to work with SSDs, I've misdiagnosed so many...
    see that you edited that a few times there.. Nice!

I was more less commenting on the fact you don't give a shit about your customers, typical american thing to do doo. Sell em a piece of hardware, it fails oh well i don't give a shit I sold it to you just about a year ago and now its 2 days over warranty so tuff shit.

I've seen the prices of the hardware you guys sell, looking from the factory and at your prices, charging doubble+ for the same thing is sure a good way to make money, and only 1 year warranty.

I never said I didn't care, you said that. If the customer doesn't care why should I?

The product I sell is well built and well supported. As to my profit margins, live with it. Nexgen isn't making any money, and hasn't been in quite some time. You begged pleaded and promised to become a reseller, and then what did you sell?

I'm fed up with people thinking I make bank, we make JACK. So little that there have been more than a few times in the last year that Jim and I have asked ourselves why we even bother.

What do we keep coming back to? We have warranties and customers that depend on us, so we find a way to keep going. So much for not caring eh? Think you can do a better job? Put your money where your mouth is an prove it. I don't see you shipping product all over the world buddy.

Oh, and we do all this while living with a very hostile relationship with our primary software vendor... Yeah, we don't care at all over here.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-09-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I never said I didn't care, you said that. If the customer doesn't care why should I?

The product I sell is well built and well supported. As to my profit margins, live with it. Nexgen isn't making any money, and hasn't been in quite some time. You begged pleaded and promised to become a reseller, and then what did you sell?

I'm fed up with people thinking I make bank, we make JACK. So little that there have been more than a few times in the last year that Jim and I have asked ourselves why we even bother.

What do we keep coming back to? We have warranties and customers that depend on us, so we find a way to keep going. So much for not caring eh? Think you can do a better job? Put your money where your mouth is an prove it. I don't see you shipping product all over the world buddy.

Oh, and we do all this while living with a very hostile relationship with our primary software vendor... Yeah, we don't care at all over here.
    I begged and pleeded to become a re-seller ? like hell I did, the only begging I did was to get the money from you guys from the stickers I sold you after waiting and hearing bull shit story after bull shit story about money being sent out ( witch it never did in the first place ) took for ever.

I had to threaten both of you guys to get the $$ owed, even then that didn't do shit, so I did a thread on NOT TO BUY FROM YOU Guys then all of a sudden money was shipped ASAP, weird how that happens...

The UT-NG 100 you sell for 1200$ IS NOT 1200$ in fact its a EOL model, and only worth 580$ COST from the factory. Maybe you double the price because the cpu is so old you have to pay premium $$ to get a EOL cpu.. ?

If you weren't such a DINK on this forum with your snot nosed stuck up attitude, people would ask you for help and probably sell a few more products.

If it was my company, I would have fired your ass long time ago.

guys, this isn't the place.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast