Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD vs HDD?

People don't ask me for help?

Also, don't lump me in with your insanity. Nexgen was created last August. Everything prior to that is a nightmare due to several things I won't discuss. I will simply point out that I'm aware of those issues, and worked hard to fix them. I'm certainly not perfect by any stretch, but I work to provide a quality product at a fair price.

The cost you list isn't real, but hey continue flaming. I think the post count on the left side of the screen speaks everything for me in terms of whom has been more of a value to this community. And I'll let the customers that have units in service, and keep coming back for more speak of everything else.

Also, Harry is right, this is the last I'll say in this regard.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I'm shooting for ssd because of lower power consumption. ALthough Isn't linux support to do better with stuff like that?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tenebrion View Post
    I'm shooting for ssd because of lower power consumption. ALthough Isn't linux support to do better with stuff like that?
    Wont see much difference between a ssd & a laptop hdd.

That Dashpuppy and I will agree on. The power meter doesn't show a measurable difference in power draw between the two. I'm sure there's a fraction of a watt in there somewhere you're saving, but it isn't enough at this point to change what you're going to spend in power.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Wont see much difference between a ssd & a laptop hdd.

thats not true, i upgraded to a ocz vertex 2 in one box and a crucial in another. start up time was cut to 1/10 in 64bit untangle and everything just worked much faster then the 7200 rpm 32 cache drives they replaced

the crucial SSD over a time of a year slowed down a little though still fast, where the spindle drives seem to stay the same

the crucial ssd i used is 60gb 2 years older then the ocz, there wasn't even trim yet though they did it in firmware 3 years later and i did upgrade both ssd's firmware yearly. the SSDs still running untangle over 3 years strong
    Last edited by untangleme; 06-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Untangle does not have TRIM support, that comes along with a Debian 6 base OS, which Untangle is based on Debian 5.

You don't use SSD on Untangle if you want performance. The only reason I offer it is price. 32gb SSDs are a little cheaper than the 160gb rotating drive I use. Why not use the 80? Easy, returns are higher and price is the same.

At the moment personally I don't trust SSDs, I have three dead on my desk right now. Kingston, AData, and Crucial.

It has been found that running Spinrite from Gibson Research on level 1 or level 2 can bring them back to life. If you run on any level above level 2 it kills the drive from the extreme read and writes.

Master Untangler

I installed one for reduced heat and noise compared to a regular drive. Its doing the job just fine so far.

Any chance of being less mysterious about why they fail and how to fix them??

Sorry no, not publicly. I really don't like being this way, but my hand has been forced.

Just be aware that normal consumer SSD drives are not a good choice for things with databases. If your drive survives 12 months, you're likely good. If it bails out 6-8 months in, you've either got a defective drive or you're generating too many writes and killed the drive.

Also, getting too specific could possibly mean I'm spreading disinformation. I've been watching a pattern with my own customers, a pattern that has been explained by a few tech support departments at reputable SSD manufacturers. I'm not entirely sure I believe it just yet, it seems too much smoke and mirrors. If the pattern holds for another six months I'll be more comfortable releasing what I think I see.

For now, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on, and I want to warn people there is a potential issue. But I also want people to be very well aware of the fact that there are so many variables to track here that currently I very well couldn't know what the heck I'm talking about!

1.) Drive firmwares are involved
    2.) Drive controllers are involved
    3.) Untangle is involved

Who is at fault? And within all this is the normal drive failures. I've managed to fix some, just to have them bail out a short time later. I've replaced some, just to have them fail a short time later.

In all cases weirdness goes away when using a rotating drive. So all of this could simply be the industry getting used to building SSD technology. It's installation base is growing, but hasn't been out there a particularly long time.

I've had issues with:

Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, Intel, AData, Transcend, and iMicro devices.

So it doesn't appear to be manufacturer specific.

Edit: I should also point out I've had Windows 7 stations fail in exactly the same way as Untangle does. So it isn't OS entirely either.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Sorry no, not publicly. I really don't like being this way, but my hand has been forced.

Just be aware that normal consumer SSD drives are not a good choice for things with databases. If your drive survives 12 months, you're likely good. If it bails out 6-8 months in, you've either got a defective drive or you're generating too many writes and killed the drive.

Also, getting too specific could possibly mean I'm spreading disinformation. I've been watching a pattern with my own customers, a pattern that has been explained by a few tech support departments at reputable SSD manufacturers. I'm not entirely sure I believe it just yet, it seems too much smoke and mirrors. If the pattern holds for another six months I'll be more comfortable releasing what I think I see.

For now, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on, and I want to warn people there is a potential issue. But I also want people to be very well aware of the fact that there are so many variables to track here that currently I very well couldn't know what the heck I'm talking about!

1.) Drive firmwares are involved
    2.) Drive controllers are involved
    3.) Untangle is involved

Who is at fault? And within all this is the normal drive failures. I've managed to fix some, just to have them bail out a short time later. I've replaced some, just to have them fail a short time later.

In all cases weirdness goes away when using a rotating drive. So all of this could simply be the industry getting used to building SSD technology. It's installation base is growing, but hasn't been out there a particularly long time.

I've had issues with:

Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, Intel, AData, Transcend, and iMicro devices.

So it doesn't appear to be manufacturer specific.

Edit: I should also point out I've had Windows 7 stations fail in exactly the same way as Untangle does. So it isn't OS entirely either.

exactly why i said, buy a Standard 2.5" laptop hard drive and call it a day..

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    exactly why i said, buy a Standard 2.5" laptop hard drive and call it a day..
    Only if you want your untangle router appliance to be slower then a $19 cheepo router

Forgive me I like speed
    I have 2 untangle been running over 3 years strong on SSD
    I had over 12 hard drive fail in win 7 builds in the last year and not one SSD. maybe I just lucky

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast