Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD vs HDD?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by untangleme View Post
    Only if you want your untangle router appliance to be slower then a $19 cheepo router

Forgive me I like speed
    I have 2 untangle been running over 3 years strong on SSD
    I had over 12 hard drive fail in win 7 builds in the last year and not one SSD. maybe I just lucky
    Maybe you need simple English lesson too !

You sound inelegant too !

having a ssd drive or a laptop drive WONT MAKE THE ROUTER RUN FASTER! Just makes it reboot faster AND IF YOUR REBOOTING IT LOTS then you have other issues !

Facepalm for tards !

Flaming doesn't help, but the information is correct.

SSD will improve Untangle boot up speeds, but it does jack all after that. I only offered them in devices due to price, and now the price advantage is gone.

Is there a durability difference? Personally, I feel that remains to be seen.

However, there are power consumption and heat generation benefits to using SSD technology.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Flaming doesn't help, but the information is correct.

SSD will improve Untangle boot up speeds, but it does jack all after that. I only offered them in devices due to price, and now the price advantage is gone.

Is there a durability difference? Personally, I feel that remains to be seen.

However, there are power consumption and heat generation benefits to using SSD technology.
    a 5400rpm 2.5: laptop hdd vs a ssd drive for heat and power is VERY little, its already been measured.

Yet the 5400rpm drive will require active ventilation, while the SSD can be passively aspirated.

Sorry no, the heat issue is significant for rotating disks. Power, yeah you're right there but the SSD is still a watt or two cheaper to operate.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Some information about SSD drive reliability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rate,2923.html

Conclusion, my next SSD will be an Intel. Maybe. I have a couple of OZC drives in different devices and no sig of issues as yet.

Notice those life spans expecting only 10Gb of data written per day?

Untangle doesn't quite hit it in smaller environments, but larger ones? You can exceed that number. Swap writes stuff!

Want to murder an SSD? Put a copy of Steam on it, then point Window's swap file at it. Download the entire source suite and a few other titles and start playing. 1 - 2 years in, you're out of writes. If not 6 months.

My largest frustration with SSD is the failure window. If a rotating drive is defective, it usually gives out in the first 30 days. If an SSD is defective it can take 8 - 10 months to manifest.

So you aren't just dealing with the typical electronics burn in window that 90 day warranties cover. You're dealing with something much longer.

Since you mentioned Intel you may want to look at something unique Intel does.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=18455

The Intel SSD toolbox. It's capable of estimating the remaining life of the SSD given the actual average writes in your use case. If there was a Linux version I'd ship Intel drives in my stuff. But if you're putting an SSD in a Windows box, server or desktop this tool is nice to have around.

Anyway, I agree with the article. However, one should note it's a year old and things have changed a bit. There have been several issues since this that aren't reported on. My best advice? UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE! If you operate an SSD you must patch your drive's firmware like you handle Windows updates for the best success rate.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-07-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Maybe you need simple English lesson too !

You sound inelegant too !

having a ssd drive or a laptop drive WONT MAKE THE ROUTER RUN FASTER! Just makes it reboot faster AND IF YOUR REBOOTING IT LOTS then you have other issues !

Facepalm for tards !
    I don't believe that to be 100% correct, I found the system in a hole to be faster everything from scans to even web GUI.

I believe What your not taking into account is the subsystem under untangle that uses the drive. I build and fix computers for a living for the last 35 years and There is no way you could convince me that I wrong with out hard evidence I have bench marked untangle with and without SSD and in the most part everything is faster with SSD. Say what you may the simple fact is I timed each part of untangle and it was all for the most part faster with SSD even if just a little . Even handled a few more users easily with out more memory.

BUT I TALKING FAST SSD!
    Not cheepo SSD same speed as ave HD, those are for ATM's

Is it worth spending a couple hundred for a fast SSD for untangle when a cheepr upgrade is memory, I believe that be up to the user

And as for the work I do I get $100 tips in thank you cards, stick that in your underwear, lol
    My end users are happy or I fix it for free
    Last edited by untangleme; 07-09-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Master Untangler

My IQ dropped 10 points from reading the above post.

Guys cool it. Keep it polite or you'll get a 7 day ban. I'm warning every poster in this thread.

SSDs are useful in an Untangle for more than just booting. Most UI activities will benefit from a fast storage medium, especially reporting and viewing event logs.

There is no real appreciable benefit in passing network traffic.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by agit8or View Post
    My IQ dropped 10 points from reading the above post.
    Yea i know thanks i get remarks like that all the time and thats also what they said to me before I got the world record score for a workstation 12 years ago, nuff said

thank you

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast