Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD vs HDD?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    Guys cool it. Keep it polite or you'll get a 7 day ban. I'm warning every poster in this thread.

SSDs are useful in an Untangle for more than just booting. Most UI activities will benefit from a fast storage medium, especially reporting and viewing event logs.

There is no real appreciable benefit in passing network traffic.

"There is no real appreciable benefit in passing network traffic"

that is my point untangle is not just passing traffic like a router, it's a appliance software that scans ext ext ext, with untangled capabilities I can't be leave you said that about passing traffic, i beleave untangle is much much more then just passing traffic and is reliant on its os and hardware to accomplish its tasks

Please don't get me wrong all I saying is that untangle is more spontaneous and can be faster with certain applications with a SSD as it also can be with a faster Processor
    my personal experience I had more hard drives fail then SSD, i was at first very weary trying SSD with untangle and have not had a problem since. this is just one persons personal experience

Thank you
    Last edited by untangleme; 07-10-2012 at 09:46 PM.

My failure rates are within statistical normal. It's just the way they blow up makes them harder to trouble shoot.

Also, performance gains in the UI? Really? That isn't Untangle. Sure it's true, but that isn't a real reason to use an SSD.

If you want one because it's supposed to be more reliable due to a lack of moving parts? Go for it.

If you want one because it's a better environmental choice, power consumption and heat generation? Go for it.

If you want one because you want it to magically make Untangle perform better? Yeah... not so much.

I suppose reports would generate at light speed if you got a nice quick one though...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

i love my 80G intel SSD, with my old rig and the 80G SATA it had i can actually run reports and view events in real time, i can do full refreshes for events and it takes seconds instead of pegging my CPU usage, dropping connections and taking minutes to show data!

if you have a big enough install and with SSD prices dropping,...why not!
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Untanglit

I just installed mine on an Intel 120 GB G2 SSD. Time will tell if all the writes will tear it down.

My environment is lower than 15 machines total not more than 8 used at the same time. So, I do not think that I am stressing it out.

The comment that got me thinking is the deployment of SSDs on large UT applications where there are a lot of re-writes intrinsic from their usage. That will be interesting to test and see the impact of SSD life. There are a lot of apps that can provide current speeds, health condition of the SSD and the estimated remaining life.

From my perspective, I will be using SSDs regardless. The reason is that where I live, the humidity is always around 100% and mostly above 90 degrees. So... A HDD are prone to fail at a faster rate than a SSD.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by joedr View Post
    I just installed mine on an Intel 120 GB G2 SSD. Time will tell if all the writes will tear it down.

My environment is lower than 15 machines total not more than 8 used at the same time. So, I do not think that I am stressing it out.

The comment that got me thinking is the deployment of SSDs on large UT applications where there are a lot of re-writes intrinsic from their usage. That will be interesting to test and see the impact of SSD life. There are a lot of apps that can provide current speeds, health condition of the SSD and the estimated remaining life.

From my perspective, I will be using SSDs regardless. The reason is that where I live, the humidity is always around 100% and mostly above 90 degrees. So... A HDD are prone to fail at a faster rate than a SSD.
    Would you mind provide the Host Writes after a few days of normal usage? It's SMART value E1. Just record what it is now and then what it is after a few days. Then we can calculate your average writes per day and extrapolate life based on P/E cycle wearing. Thanks!

Untanglit

DuckieHo,

Are you on OCN? I am using the same username there.

What will be the easiest method of finding the E1 value in SMART without having to remove the drive? I mean... there are a lot of tools but they all run in Windows.

The good thing is that I got the SSD with 100% life left on it based on SSDLife. It was used for less than 3 weeks.

Any wear can be attributed to the UT installation.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by joedr View Post
    DuckieHo,

Are you on OCN? I am using the same username there.

What will be the easiest method of finding the E1 value in SMART without having to remove the drive? I mean... there are a lot of tools but they all run in Windows.

The good thing is that I got the SSD with 100% life left on it based on SSDLife. It was used for less than 3 weeks.

Any wear can be attributed to the UT installation.
    Yup, the one and the same.

You can use smartmontools. I am not sure if it comes included in the Debian build.

SSDs do arrive with a little wear off sometimes a few GB. Besides you want to track writes of the router usage, not the install.

Which is sill unique the installation, based on the network activity you shove through the device.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Earlier on there was discussion about reliability of SSD drives:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...lhead_wan_box/

Riverbed have put them in their big boxes a while back. We manage a fleet of Riverbeds in all shapes and sized and the big boxes do a lot of work. I am yet to replace an ssd in any of the ones we manage although hard drives are routinely replaced.

This is just an observation, not looking to reignite a debate on the topic.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
    Earlier on there was disSLCsion about reliability of SSD drives:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...lhead_wan_box/

Riverbed have put them in their big boxes a while back. We manage a fleet of Riverbeds in all shapes and sized and the big boxes do a lot of work. I am yet to replace an ssd in any of the ones we manage although hard drives are routinely replaced.

This is just an observation, not looking to reignite a debate on the topic.
    Any idea of the writes daily?

Are they using SLC, eMLC, or MLC? Are they noticing the available space decreasing with wear?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast