Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: SSD vs HDD?

2x more dead SSD units came across our service bench yesterday...1x at a client we deployed about 6 months ago, an NG-25 unit. Another in a laptop. And 2 weeks ago yet another SSD in another NG-25 that we deployed about 3 months ago.

Failing SSD drives are getting almost as popular as that FBI Ransomeware!

Untangler

yes the ssd is the faster way to go if you get the specs on the ssd above a roatational drive.. however under larger storage needs i find that 4 of the 2000 gig seagate drives in a raid strip are the way to go..however i have no untangle router using this much space only servers windows hyper-v and vmware.. the ssd is not a part of the system that you want to buy cheap on..you get what you pay for..look at the enterpize class ssd Seagate Pulsar or pulsar 2 drives they work well and do not break but are not cheap..seagate is the world leader in entrepize class drives..they do well in ssd as well..

Untangler

I would never deploy an SSD on Untangle unless you want to kill the drive extremely fast... Since Untangle does not support TRIM right away your already losing 1/3rd the performance that an SSD would have on Mac or Windows. Lastly, Untangle writes EXCESSIVELY to your HDD and I mean EXCESSIVELY... There is a reason why the number one slow down on an Untangle Server is disk transfer, and its primarily due to reports. The problem with this is since SSDs have a limited amount of data that can be written to them you are literally destroying your NAND storage on the device rather quickly. Untangle isn't just writing HUGE CHUNKS which are good for SSDs instead it writes alot of smaller chunks to the drive. Unless you can afford an SLC SSD which are insanely expensive I would not install a regular consumer grade MLC SSD unless you love blowing money.

even with excessive writes, you can just not partition all the space and get alot more life out of the drive,.. not to mention, even with excessive writes, your still looking at years of service.

Here is a very good read

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5518/a...-of-intel-ssds
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    even with excessive writes, you can just not partition all the space and get alot more life out of the drive,.. not to mention, even with excessive writes, your still looking at years of service.

Here is a very good read

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5518/a...-of-intel-ssds
    Not in all cases, trust me. The return rates are what they are. I think you would be correct if the drive utilized was 128gb or larger, but for the 32gb and 64gb devices, the failure rates are rather annoyingly high.

However, I haven't had a drive go back to the manufacturer yet where they said, yeah... the NAND failed. For me it's almost all been controller failures. That's just bad manufacturing.

Still, the point stands, Untangle isn't a good fit for SSD. And as long as logging is done locally, you're really better off with rotating storage.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

True or false ?

I used a 2 x Ocz vortex 2 64gig SSD in 2 x untangle boxes ( one in each) for 2 years

Took them out after 2+ years upgraded there firmware in a windows computer and used the "Ocz tool"secure erase to erase them

After that I benchmarked them and they where faster then new .

TRUE!

I then used them to upgrade 2 old almost identical HP windows computers as there boot drives for friends and there still running over 3 years total no issues at all

And before them I used 2 of the first crucial SSD 60gig BEFORE THERE WAS SUCH A THING AS TRIM IN ANY OPERATING SYSTEM OR ON THE DRAWING BOARD !

Did same thing With same results !

You may ask Why did I take the SSD out after 2 years, just upgrade time that's all and yes I admit I assumed the SSD mite be in need and time for replacement for there is no trim, before a failure. I was wrong

I used 20+ SSD in my time and not had a problem with one of them

I have used over 300+ hard drives in my time and had a 50% defective failure rate in servers in there warranty period and the warranty refurbished replacements always fail under raids, I had it with hard drives

I have no reason what so ever to use a old outdated slower hard drives that fail so much in servers when the SSD are working so well for me

Unless many teribites are needed and yes I do have a few servers like that

JUST MY 2 SENSE
    Last edited by untangleme; 01-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by untangleme View Post
    True or false ?

I used a 2 x Ocz vortex 2 64gig SSD in 2 x untangle boxes ( one in each) for 2 years

Took them out after 2+ years upgraded there firmware in a windows computer and used the "Ocz tool"secure erase to erase them

After that I benchmarked them and they where faster then new .

TRUE!

I then used them to upgrade 2 old almost identical HP windows computers as there boot drives for friends and there still running over 3 years total no issues at all

And before them I used 2 of the first crucial SSD 60gig BEFORE THERE WAS SUCH A THING AS TRIM IN ANY OPERATING SYSTEM OR ON THE DRAWING BOARD !

Did same thing With same results !

You may ask Why did I take the SSD out after 2 years, just upgrade time that's all and yes I admit I assumed the SSD mite be in need and time for replacement for there is no trim, before a failure. I was wrong

I used 20+ SSD in my time and not had a problem with one of them

I have used over 300+ hard drives in my time and had a 50% defective failure rate in servers in there warranty period and the warranty refurbished replacements always fail under raids, I had it with hard drives

I have no reason what so ever to use a old outdated slower hard drives that fail so much in servers when the SSD are working so well for me

Unless many teribites are needed and yes I do have a few servers like that

JUST MY 2 SENSE
    for the amount of read and writes in a firewall, a ssd just isn't needed.

btw, do you want a cookie ?

for how fast reports and logs load for me, an SSD is 100x faster than a mechanical drive and worth it alone.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    for the amount of read and writes in a firewall, a ssd just isn't needed.

btw, do you want a cookie ?
    That is true,

sorry didn't mean to come off the wrong way, my point was in my experience I have had many hard drives fail in server applications and as in most hardware devices I see it more fit for some sort of a solid state memory drive at least in my experience for the same reason there used in industrial applications. there more durable faster and less likely to fail, look nothing perfect its really up to end user and there preferences either way I do have a untangle box running off a 320gb hard drive just because i had the drive laying around and works just fine, just not as fine as the SSD one. but no biggy lol

With All hardware there's always the chance of failure, untangle runs from any hard drive just fine. I just prefer a more snapper running machine with SSD, same reason I using intel server nics

And I only like fresh baked chocolate chip cookies
    Last edited by untangleme; 01-06-2013 at 07:34 PM.

I would have preffered ssd because of its speed and no moving parts here is a small comparison

File Copy / Write Speed

SSD:-Generally above 200 MB/s and up to 500 MB/s for cutting edge drives
    HDD:-The range can be anywhere from 50 – 120MB / s
    Encryption
    SSD:-Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Supported on some models
    HDD:-Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Supported on some models
    File Opening Speed
    SSD:-Up to 30% faster than HDD
    HDD:-Slower than SSD
    Magnetism Affected?

SSD:-An SSD is safe from any effects of magnetism
    HDD:- Magnets can erase data