Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Overloaded hardware or other issue?

Hey all,

Iím trying to track down an issue with my UT box, and Iím wondering if the problem is the box itself is just getting overloaded.

Several times since the start of the school year Iíve had days where 200 Ė 250 users are doing research or web-based testing and weíve had terrible connection speed. On the UT console itíll show somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 sessions and CPU the CPU load will show high. (Right now with 500ish sessions and around 150 users itís showing Medium)

When the connection is terribly slow the Web Filter, Spyware blocker and Application Blockers are showing Scan/Block/Pass all pegged to MAX.

Iíve tested by setting myself to completely bypass everything, or have plugged in upstream of the UT box and have a fine connection speed.

Our connections are a 7mbps DSL line and a 10mpbs Cable line, which seemed to be sufficient last year.

From looking at the UT hardware requirements, what we have looks OK, but I know that real-world can differ from paper.

Below are the specs of the sever and the apps we run.

Hardware in the server is:
    2x Intel Xeon 3050 2.13ghz
    4 GB Ram
    2 onboard NIC
    2 PCI NIC

Running apps are:
    Web Filter
    Virus Blocker
    Spyware Blocker
    Spam Blocker
    Phish Blocker
    Web Cache
    Bandwidth Control
    Application Control
    Application Control Lite
    Firewall
    Intrusion Prevention
    Ad Blocker
    WAN Failover
    WAN Balancer

Open VPN

I would call support and tell them what you are experiencing and we can take a look.

Also, it sounds like you are running 9.2
    I would upgrade to 9.3
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Thanks, I'll do that.

Also, what is your data retention setting in reports->settings?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Which brand/model are those "2 PCI NIC"?

Master Untangler

Hmm. Missed the replies to this thread, nothing like being a month late.

Report retention is 7 days.

The NICs the onboard NICs on a serverclass ASUS motherboard, offhand I don't know what, but I'm guessing Marvell or RealTek. I'll have to look.

The problem comes and goes. For a couple weeks we had no issues, but we're having the same trouble again.

Untangler

i would say it is realtek they cuase all kinds of problems. like you are talking about.. us intel pro 1000 gt or pt adapters..disable the realtek cards in bios on the box..

Having a similar problem. 5 WAN (30/30/30/5/5Mbps), 200 users, high CPU utilization, slow surf speeds. v9.3.2

We encountered similar issue too, due to bittorrent.

1 single joker can bring down the whole firewall. An aggressive bittorent client can easily spawn 4000-6000 sessions and in no time, your CPU shoots up and the firewall just hang and become unresponsive.

What we did (without paying any single cent for bandwidth control), was to use application control log to identify the IP address that's running Bittorrent, and mark the IP with the MAC address, and block them fully from the firewall rule. The joker will surrender himself when he has no internet connection and you can easily identify him, unless he doesn't come to you and fine with being blocked from accessing the internet.

I need a more effective way, without costing additional $$$..... any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tingshen View Post
    We encountered similar issue too, due to bittorrent.

1 single joker can bring down the whole firewall. An aggressive bittorent client can easily spawn 4000-6000 sessions and in no time, your CPU shoots up and the firewall just hang and become unresponsive.

What we did (without paying any single cent for bandwidth control), was to use application control log to identify the IP address that's running Bittorrent, and mark the IP with the MAC address, and block them fully from the firewall rule. The joker will surrender himself when he has no internet connection and you can easily identify him, unless he doesn't come to you and fine with being blocked from accessing the internet.

I need a more effective way, without costing additional $$$..... any suggestion?
    Attack blocker can be a pain but it will save you from the bittorrent DOS. turn it on and let it roll. Everyone is going to tank at first..it'll take some work to tweak the exceptions..always start off using the 5 user setting..AFTER you make sure the machines that are getting nailed aren't infected..using some kind of high connection software..etc etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast