Master Untangler

Default untangle backups

Hello, we have been happily using Untangle Premium for a couple of years now and everything is great. However, yesterday we had a power supply go bad in our system (easy fix), but it got me thinking about backups.

Now, the system does its online config backup, which stores the main configuration..... BUT in the event of a complete motherboard or hard drive crash.... is the online backup sufficient to restore all of our untangle settings if we had to rebuild from scratch?

Is there a way, to clone the hard drive or create a complete hard disk backup schedule in untangle in the event of a hard drive dies?

I use the on line backup a couple of times, and work well.
    If is restored to another box the only warning is to reconfigure and assign the interfaces.
    Sky knight have a post with a step by step guide, search them.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

The Untangle Backup / Restore is only "supported" to restore to the same hardware and the same version of Untangle.

However, it often will restore just fine to new hardware. The catches involved in this process have to do with the MAC addresses attached to the network hardware. If you move the NICs from the downed server, to the new server, restore will work flawlessly.

Even if you don't move the NICs, as long as Untangle is kept current, and you can get the same version of Untangle on the new hardware, one simply installs trials of the apps you had, restores the backup, and then goes and reconfigures the interfaces in config -> networking -> interfaces.

Internal and External come over pretty reliably, the rest of the interfaces will need to be manually reconfigured. I've never lost the rack applications, VPN users, virtual racks, etc. The bugs in restore have always been simply the NIC configurations themselves, which are usually very easy to put back.

If you want to clone the drive, this is also a good idea, especially before a major upgrade. Clonezilla is free, and works flawlessly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Great, that is re-assuring to hear.
    I think I will also make a clonezilla backup every once in a while just in case the hard drive dies out.... which is inevitable sooner or later that they will.

Untanglit

Can you RAID your drives at the BIOS level?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by newbieuser View Post
    Can you RAID your drives at the BIOS level?
    don't think software raid is supported in Untangle.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

It works, but it isn't "supported" because it's up to the admin to know how his operating systems work. RAID controllers built into mainboards are never real RAID, and linux doesn't do softRAID unless it's controlled by the kernel.

But, if you know how to deal with it, Untangle's installer will do software RAID just fine, and Untangle does indeed work with it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com