Untanglit

Default Hardware specs for point to point VPN

Hi there. I'm planning to build 2 Untangle boxes with the following hardware:

OEM Production 2550L2D-MxPC that someone posted in another thread:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856205007
    2GB RAM
    32GB SSD HDD (Or perhaps a 160GB standard drive.)
    I'll add a 3rd NIC to one of them for reasons explained below.

The client has 2 clinics. At the main clinic, they have about 10 workstations. At the satellite clinic, they have 5. The 5 users at the satellite clinic use remote desktop to run their main application on the server at the main location. They're currently connected by OpenVPN running between 2 Linksys WRT54Gs running DD-WRT. I'd obviously use OpenVPN built into Untangle with the main clinic being the server.

To complicate things, we're planning on putting in a VOIP system. I know to use bypass rules for the VOIP traffic. We'll have 8 or 10 endpoints at the main clinic, 4 at the satellite clinic. They have 2 Internet connections at the main clinic, hence the need for a 3rd NIC. I'd like to force all VOIP traffic over one connection and let everything else run over the other connection. Can I do this using packet filters or something similar, or will I need to purchase WAN Balancer? The WAN Failover may be nice to have in any case... The satellite clinic has only 1 Internet connection so this won't apply.

Should these machines be able to handle all of this? Only 10 users or less on either firewall, but the VPN and VOIP may complicate matters.

Thanks for your feedback!

Easily, just make sure the expansion NIC is broadcom or Intel.

Also, don't use SSD. Not unless you want to be back here in 6 months with two dead boxes.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

In checking the forums, I would be careful of the OEM Production 2550L2D-MxPC as other users have reported issues with this system.

Untangler

It's a little under-powered. I don't know if I would rely on adding a VPN and third NIC to it's workload.

Maybe something a little stronger

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_pc...PC&node=172282

the specs are about the same with the boxes on amazon..same cpu to boot...except for the i3 and i5 systems. I think the atoms willl handle the satellite places jsut fine. Depending on how many modules you want ot use at the main the atom might be a bit undersized...need more details on usage of the UT there.

of course you can talk to sky-knight directly via pm. Frankly his appliances aren't cheap....BUT you can guarantee they'll work and he'll bend over backwards IF there's a hardware issue.

The only two modules that have any appreciable load on Untangle if you use good NICs, are the Spam Blockers, and the Virus Blockers. If you are only planning to deploy Untangle for the OpenVPN module, a single core Atom system will likely be plenty for something like 200 users. A dual core Atom system will give you plenty of wiggle room beyond that. Just remember, the more stuff you move and the faster you want to move it, the more CPU and RAM you'll need.

And for the record, my stuff is cheap. Appliances != Mini-ITX or Mini-ATX platforms. The all steel cases, and other industrial upgrades all cost too. Pound for pound, they are the cheapest solid machine you can get. Untangle's appliances are stupidly similar, and by similar I mean virtually identical. They are simply manufactured by a different company. The prices chosen reflect the nature of the cost of the hardware. Not our desire to rake people over for small form factor.

When comparing the cost of a known working appliance, and experimenting with your own platform consider the time involved. It's not just the base price, you're going to be doing your own hardware support long term, and you have to deal with getting the OS to cooperate with the platform. How much time will that take? If you're going to be using many of these devices, how are you going to handle replacements? More experimentation?

If you love experimenting and building and being self supporting, Untangle allows for it and I say go for it. After all, that's how I got into this game. But if you need something that works, right now, and you want to have some backup when things go wrong, you should consider an established Untangle hardware vendor, or Untangle themselves for their uSeries.

Untangle's ecosystem provides every option you can imagine for hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com