Untangler

Default Existing hardware upgrade questions.

Hey guys

Been using Untangle for a good little while,again, and so far I am pretty happy with it.
    I have noticed that after adding a few services, OpenVPN, Virus, Firewall, Adblock....etc, that a random delay in on some pages, and even streaming has showed up. Speedtest.net still shows my full speed.

Existing hardware:
    Athlon 64 3800+ Single core CPU
    MSI 785gtm-e45
    4gb DDR2 1066
    2x Realtek NICs
    40gb 7200rpm IDE drive

The web interface never shows any real load on the CPU even during what one might consider a decent load.

I have planned on a network upgrade for awhile, Im still rocking 10/100 Cisco 2900 XL 24 port switch.

Anyway, more to the point...
    If i upgrade the CPU to a dual core, and swap for gigabit Intel NICs, will I need to reinstall Untangle?

I need to move the whole setup to a slim mATX case as well so all timing would be perfect for the upgrade.

On the previous and current versions of Untangle, I recommend re-install Untangle when the NICs are changed.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Cool deal.

Is there a way to back up the OpenVPN configuration? I know you can backup the untangle config itself, but Im pretty sure that doesnt include any of the add ons.

It's safe to use the built-in configuration backup to restore on the new install. After restoring on the new install, go to the networking section of the GUI where it will ask to reconfigure the new interfaces.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Yes, I have successfully been able to backup an existing install, replaced the hardware, did a clean install of Untangle, restored the backup and updated the interface configurations (since it's MAC address based) ... been working perfectly since.

It works most of the time, sometimes it can get twitchy... and when it decides to be twitchy, it gets really twitchy.

Just make sure you have an instance of all of the apps you need installed BEFORE you restore, and you'll be fine.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com