Thread: PPPOE modem

Master Untangler

Default PPPOE modem

Since standard PPPOE is not recommended by Untangle, will a modem that stores the PPOE configuration internally work?-- such as the Actiontec modems. Would Untangle treat that External connection as DHCP?

I am trying to rebuild our primary school untangle box which does use DHCP for its modems, but want to do some testing from home and I still have an old PPPOE modem. I could get a free upgrade to the modems that store PPPOE internally, but not sure if that would gain me anything in regards to Untangle.

Thanks.

I would just use the 10.0 beta which supports PPPoE fully.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

I would love to start out with 10.0 as it would be a perfect time to upgrade, but is it getting close to "production ready"? It would mean having to manually re-configure all the virtual racks, rules, etc too right? And when it leaves beta, it still won't update right?

On the other hand, building another 9.4.1 and then in a month or 2 having 10.0 come out which likely requires the same work as mentioned above anyhow.... maybe i should just wait it out until it leaves beta....

Our current box is 9.4.1 and still running mostly ok, but is showing its age. I have a brand new rig for untangle here, and want to ultimately do a weekend "swap" when I have everything running nicely on the new system.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

hmmmmmm..... very tempting now that it can auto-upgrade...... out of curiosity would it auto-upgrade right thru the betas and eventually into the final production release of 10.0.x.?

Also, aside from the license transfer, this is a complete rebuild with no way to import anything from 9.4?? I read earlier that there will never be an auto-upgrade from 9.4 - 10.0 so thinking this a "start from scratch" whether its in beta, or even the final release.

There will be no upgrade from 9.4 to 10.0. 10.0 requires a clean install. 10.0 beta 4 will upgrade to the final release.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    There will be no upgrade from 9.4 to 10.0. 10.0 requires a clean install. 10.0 beta 4 will upgrade to the final release.
    Allrighty..... and lastly can you confirm that 10.0 will require a total manual reconfigure of all the racks, rules, schedules, etc? ie- there's NOTHING that I can import from the 9.4 install besides transferring the license?

No, you can never import from one version to another version.

Master Untangler

Last question, i promise!! For a few weeks while 10.0 is in beta, could I continue to run our production box with 9.4.1, and also test the 10.0 beta4 on another box using the same license for testing purposes at my home location? (My home location uses similar network settings). The aim would be to reconfigure all the settings for 10.0 without disturbing the production environment box, and when the 10.0 box is ready to take over-- do the swap.

I am assuming this would work if:
    a)i turned the auto-update OFF for 9.4 production box
    b)with the transferred license being on the 10.0 box then the daily online server backups stored at untangle would now be for 10.0.

You've got a two week trial, just use that for testing.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com