Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V Issues?

Anyone used this motherboard with Untangle? Was looking through forums and found something about the Intel J1900 SoC boards and was excited to see that Gigabyte had a Dual LAN version of this, okay, I understand that it's a Realtek LAN instead of Intel LAN but I have really not had issues with any of the Realtek interfaces before and used several of them.

Turns out that this motherboard shipped with F1 BIOS which really did not support anything other than Windows 8, don't ask why, I gave up trying to figure that one out. With F1 everything EXCEPT Windows 8 would simply continuously reboot, I tried Untangle 10 and 10.1, both 32bit and 64bit, I tried Windows 7, Debian 6 even my Windows UBCD but only Windows 8 would do anything. I eventually managed to get F2 BIOS flashed, trick was to boot the DOS USB Flash Drive in Safe Mode, go figure??

I have tried switching from EFI boot to Legacy boot, disabling any of the Serial, Parallel, PS2, etc. ports, trying to adjust the North Bridge integrated graphics, etc. but I just get presented the first screen from the install media and it appears that everything just locks up ... so a shout out to anyone with guru Linux skills got some ideas about what to change in the BIOS to get this thing working?

Just managed to install UT on this board by using Intel D525MW to install UT and then moved SSD to J1900 board and reassigned network interfaces. No other way for that, sorry. Also, all UEFI and other useless functions need to be disabled. This chipset/cpu is rather new and rare linux distros install normally on this board. You would need a very recent (bleeding-edge) kernel to install.
    Otherwise it works perfectly - no heat, great performance, has LPT header, that I am planning to use for lcd. Lovely piece of hardware.

Master Untangler

I have tried to disable UEFI, etc. but not finding the right combination of items which need to be disabled, etc. as I get to the first screen of Untangle install, select graphics or text and nothing further happens ... there is another post about similar J1900 boards which talked about USB settings but that did not appear to make any difference either.

Well, since the chipset and cpu is rather new, the HWIDs are not in the list, so usb glitches and unrecognised cd drive is some of the problems.
    What I did was:
    1. Disabled UEFI in CSM
    2. Disabled USB3, but left EHCI on. Disabled USB legacy support.
    3. Set sata to AHCI and disable hotplug.
    4. Disabled CPU power management. It doesnt generate heat anyway.
    5. Installed a working system on another board with AHCI and moved HDD to J1900 board and reassigned eth devices.
    System works fine.
    I also left old bios version, because that upgrade was not doing anything good anyway.
    IMHO, Untangle NG is not really NG without fresh kernel. But it is still a GREAT piece of software!

Hi everyone,

I bought a Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V motherboard and I have some problems with it. (I hope i posted this in a correct thread).
    I have an older computer, (Intel X6800 processor (LGA775), 2GB DDR2, Supermicro ( PDSBA ) motherboard, 250GB S-ATA HDD, a S-ATA Combo and a 300W power source.)
    I wanted to build a new computer and to change this older computer with a new one, and I found this motherboard.

Now, problem description:

1) when I want to install the operating system (Win 7), the motherboard does not see the combo (the older computer can use it, with this combo I installed the operating system to the "older" one). I have to mention that the BIOS founds the HDD, but the BIOS does not founds the combo. I changed their S-ATA ports (at S-ATA port 0 inserted the HDD, in S-ATA port 1 inserted the Combo, and then I changed their ports -> at S-ATA port 0 inserted the combo, in S-ATA port 1 inserted the HDD). BIOS founds every time the HDD, but never the combo. I checked the cables, everything is OK, there is no contact problem.
    I tried even with an IDE CD-ROM (I have the P-ATA to S-ATA converter). This converter was tried, it works fine. The BIOS does not founds the IDE CD-ROM too.

2) Another problem is that I tried with several programs to make an USB BOOT Stick, but either I failed to succeed realising the BOOT USB or the BIOS does not wants to boot from the USB Stick. I modified the boot order - first: check the stick, second: start the
    EFI shell, but everytime starts the Shell.

Please tell me how to install the operating system on this motherboard.
    Thank you!

Untanglit

I have the J1900 board from SuperMicro, and when trying to boot from a USB-attached DVD-ROM drive with the UT 10.1 disc in it, it reboots before displaying anything on screen. I re-downloaded the ISO and burnt it to a new disc, and it did the same thing. I can and did install pfSense 2.1.2 on the machine from the same optical drive no problem. Why does UT10.1 have such a lame installer?

Quote Originally Posted by nagyrobert View Post
    Hi everyone,

I bought a Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V motherboard and I have some problems with it. (I hope i posted this in a correct thread).
    I have an older computer, (Intel X6800 processor (LGA775), 2GB DDR2, Supermicro ( PDSBA ) motherboard, 250GB S-ATA HDD, a S-ATA Combo and a 300W power source.)
    I wanted to build a new computer and to change this older computer with a new one, and I found this motherboard.

Now, problem description:

1) when I want to install the operating system (Win 7), the motherboard does not see the combo (the older computer can use it, with this combo I installed the operating system to the "older" one). I have to mention that the BIOS founds the HDD, but the BIOS does not founds the combo. I changed their S-ATA ports (at S-ATA port 0 inserted the HDD, in S-ATA port 1 inserted the Combo, and then I changed their ports -> at S-ATA port 0 inserted the combo, in S-ATA port 1 inserted the HDD). BIOS founds every time the HDD, but never the combo. I checked the cables, everything is OK, there is no contact problem.
    I tried even with an IDE CD-ROM (I have the P-ATA to S-ATA converter). This converter was tried, it works fine. The BIOS does not founds the IDE CD-ROM too.

2) Another problem is that I tried with several programs to make an USB BOOT Stick, but either I failed to succeed realising the BOOT USB or the BIOS does not wants to boot from the USB Stick. I modified the boot order - first: check the stick, second: start the
    EFI shell, but everytime starts the Shell.

Please tell me how to install the operating system on this motherboard.
    Thank you!
    hi

first of all it is better to flash your BIOS to latest one ( F2 ) even though it is not perfect.
    thanks to this thread ( http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic...&t=6276#p34579 ) for changing from UEFI to legacy

user :sku1d wrote
    BIOS settings

" If you got rev. 1.0: Do a BIOS update. The current version is called F2 and can be found here
    Enter the BIOS by hitting either DEL or ESC
    Activate the CSM-Support under Advanced -> CSM Configuration. This stands for "Compatibility Support Module" and will enable traditional boot modes other than UEFI, which implies having a GPT boot sector and a boot partition.

Code: Select all
    CSM Support [enabled]
    Boot Option Filter [legacy only]
    Network [do not launch]
    Storage [legacy only]
    Video [UEFI first] // take care for this one as it might disable your graphics card and leaves you with a blank screen!
    Other PCI Devices [legacy only]

Go to Advanced -> USB Configuration and disable XHCI&EHCI Hand-Off as it seems to be a faulty implementation and causes a kernel crash at boot time

Code: Select all
    Legacy USB Support [Enabled]
    USB3.0 Support [Enabled]
    XHCI Hand-Off [Disabled]
    EHCI Hand-Off [Disabled]
    USB Mass Storage Driver Support [Enabled]

Go to Save & Exit and choose Save Changes and Reset and reenter the BIOS so that your 'legacy' devices are getting displayed in the boot menu

Insert your Windows DVD or USB drive
    Go to Boot -> Hard Drive BBS Priorities and select Windows DVD or USB drive to be Boot Option #1 and your internal disk where you want to install it to be Boot Option #2
    Go back to the normal Boot menu by hitting ESC and order the Boot Option List again
    Save changes and reboot as before / have fun."

now in my experience ,after Windows (7,8.1.server 2012 ) copied and first reboot you should enter BIOS and change Boot Option #1 to your hard drive

still it is a buggy BIOS no option ( in LEGACY ) to have MultiBoot in F12 Boot menu.

Master Untangler

I have found that with the F1 BIOS, anything but a Windows 8 install will continuously reboot the machine on startup ... Updating to the F2 BIOS resolve this issue but see the other posts with respect to BIOS changes which may or may not resolve the other issues, I have RMA'ed the board based on Gigabyte Tech Support instructions.

I went another route with my board. I installed untangle first in VMware and turned it off when doing first reboot so to keep the initializing intact. After that I converted the VMware disk container to a format that could be written directly to any media (HDD, USB, CF..and so forth).

Convert the *.vmdk file from VMware to a raw image file (.img) with qemu:
    sudo qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O raw Debian6-0.vmdk Debian6-0.img (Debian6-0 can be any name given during VMware install)

I prefer to use Windows for raw image writing, physdiskwrite doesn't care much what kind of media you write to, which I like.
    http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/physdiskwrite-0.5.3.zip

After that simply plug the HDD, USB, CF or whatever you like to run untangle on and boot up... Everything working 100%.

I'm right now working on patching the kernel for Intel speedstep schedulig and other optimisations/removing of bloat. My intention is to set up a AP as well, so I need to compile in drivers and a bit more "laxed" wifi regulation channels.

Hi all,
    I just had a first time install success with UT10.2.1 on the Gigabyte GA-J1900 D3V following this process to flash the board to the most recent F3 bios: http://www.gigabytenordic.com/wordpr...s-j1800-j1900/
    Then, with no further changes to the bios, install UT from the 64 bit ISO download burnt to disk. This had a perfect install first time and is very, very easy. Seems the latest bios mods have sorted the problems earlier versions held. Good luck with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast