Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There are several Untangle resellers in Australia. There are more that ship to Australia, I'm one of them.

I am however unaware of a local partner that stocks equipment. I've tried to work with several, none have bit on the idea. That being said it's not terribly expensive to ship devices down under. And thus far everyone has been content with simply waiting a bit longer for delivery. Though I have heard customs can be a bugger at times.

The BIOS settings on the uSeries is also irrelevant, as such information is hardware specific and wouldn't be useful on another platform anyway.
    OK that is useful to know. I did have a look on your site for info on international shipping but didn't see anything. I will definitely consider yourself when looking to source a new box if I don't want to build one.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    The Hardware Compatibility List is being removed from the wiki.

It has several issues:
    1) Its out of date
    2) Its unmaintained
    3) It communicates the wrong expectations for hardware compability.

If you are using Untangle on your own hardware you will need to do the research to determine if the hardware is compatible.
    Generally speaking, if a particular piece of hardware is known to work well in recent versions of Linux then it has a good chance of working with Untangle. You can get opinions and thoughts by posting in this forum.

To know for sure, you will need to order the equipment and install NGFW on it. If it works - it is compatible. If it does not
    I just loaded Untangle 11 on a SuperMicro 1U server that has 8GB, a single 200GB sata disk, a Xeon 4 core CPU E5405 running at 2.0Ghz. Works great. Cost of the server - free. A customer was discarding it because it was out of warranty. Ebay is full of systems like this for not a lot of money.

My $0.02 is that the Untangle appliances are tremendously underpowered for what they cost. Get real please - a u150 running on a 32bit system with 4GB of ram? No wonder you have to have it custom built - nobody sells that low end hardware anymore.

These days many businesses are getting 100Mbt connections from cable providers, etc. Nobody ever complained about "too much power" on their router or computer. We have a number of u150's configured and I assure you, the interface on my discarded server runs twice as fast. On the u150, you do a simple operation then sit there tapping your fingers for minutes before the firewall comes back. On the Xeon, click and bang - it's back.

Untangle's approach on hardware they sell has consistently been to aim for what is just barely able to run their stuff. I have never understood this logic. Why hamstring your software with old-tech hardware?

Untangle Ninja

tedm,

Remember that the cost also includes Licenses for all the modules.
    If you would remove that cost it would be atleast over here "normal" price.

And the licenses in the NGFW units is gold as you can run unlimited of users to them. (and it should be able to handle more than 150 users)

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    tedm,

Remember that the cost also includes Licenses for all the modules.
    If you would remove that cost it would be atleast over here "normal" price.

And the licenses in the NGFW units is gold as you can run unlimited of users to them. (and it should be able to handle more than 150 users)
    Woah, you can do unlimited users on branded hardware? I've been building my own boxes and using them for the past 5 years, and I wasn't aware of this. That could definitely change things when it comes time to upgrade hardware.

Untangle Ninja

Why an Appliance?

• Easiest, most cost-effective deployment option. Discounted hardware and software renewals mean you’re getting the best possible deal.
    • Ship with the software package of your choice (Complete or Free) included in the price and already installed on the hardware.
    • Priced without user bands, so you don’t have to worry about incurring incremental cost. Your price is all-inclusive.
    http://www.untangle.com/appliances?#appliances-table

BTW WebFool, that bolded bullet point I was told last year was going away. Of course I was also promised a software only version of Content Control... but you know stuff happens.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

We have no plans to change our appliances from unlimited to being licensed by devices.

So another flop or sales being confused again? No matter, thanks for setting me straight Amy.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I want to Buy New Dual NIC card motherboard for my New Untangle server could please give me some Motherboard name and Model to be purchase.

Looking through the NIC list and didn't see a PCI-E card...thoughts?
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast