Untangler

Default No Internet, Untangle needs to be rebooted every week to get back

What logs or where can I look to find out why I need to reboot my Untangle every week to get the Internet back? Every Monday or sometimes it makes it to Tuesday I get a call from client that they have no Internet, I can access the untangle login page from :4343 ( I am offsite) but can't log in. Once I have client reboot untangle Internet works for another week, I looked at bandwidth logs but looks like they get reset upon reboot.

Thanks!
    INFO:
    Build: 9.4.2~svn20130830r35759release9.4-1lenny
    Kernel: 2.6.26-2-untangle-686
    History: yes (23)
    Reboots: 5 (2)

If you think I got Grumpy

Untangler

Problem, not onsite to do these and client is frustrated and stockbroker so have to reboot to fix asap. I would think I could find a log that would tell me why internet stopped working.

I did find this gem of info from tech that purchased and installed untangle. (licensing is 1-10 and there are 10 pc's but some have ipads connected to WIFI) Could licensing be causing this? I only have 1-10 and its possible that they could have ipads connected that go over the 10? I went to licensing under system info but did not find any useful info.

Untangle's license enforcement doesn't work that way.

If the unit is going down, there's a reason for it. You need to determine that reason. And yes, this means being on site with it. I would start with the keyboard / mouse on the Untangle server itself. When it's locked up does the physical console respond? Can you move the mouse? Does num lock on the keyboard turn on / off with a button push, is it delayed?

If the mouse doesn't move, and the num lock light unresponsive this means a loss of interrupt control, or more commonly known as a hard lock. This is indicative of hardware fault, which would means things are going to continue to get worse until the unit fails entirely.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

That it's that predictable, my is best guess is weekly report generation is taking too much disk I/O or RAM, causing disk thrashing, and suddenly the box can't keep up.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    That it's that predictable, my is best guess is weekly report generation is taking too much disk I/O or RAM, causing disk thrashing, and suddenly the box can't keep up.
    yeah, are there any administrative alerts?
    If you think I got Grumpy

I would just call support since the box has a paid subscription.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

checked generation and set to every day and weekly on sundays. Its more predictable as in the untangle will stay up for a week from when it was booted last not it locks up every Monday. Like last week we had a power outage Tue and sure enough today the untangle needed to be rebooted. I have a support ticket in and hopefully they will connect and take a look.

Also take a look in reports at your data retention lengths. You may just be filling up your disk or getting postgresql out of whack after about a week's worth of data is recorded. You may need to shorten that time, or get more memory or a faster or bigger disk.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    I would just call support since the box has a paid subscription.
    If you suspect reports, support is the best way to confirm.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com