Master Untangler

Default Install on Haswell/H81

Since my installation of Version 9 is getting a little long in the tooth (but has an uptime of 675 days!) I thought it was probably time to give Version 11 (64-bit) a try. On new hardware, that is, since the Socket 775 board has a lot of hours on it now and should be given a dignified retirement. Throwing caution to the wind, I ordered an Asrock H81 board along with an i5-4590S (that's a "Haswell Refresh" generation) processor and 8GB of 1600MHz RAM. Sure, it's gross overkill for a home installation, but if the Untangle installation ran seriously off the rails, it would make a very nice Windows box, and the cost differential wasn't *that* much. Installation to a HDD from a UFD takes mere minutes.

Cutting to the chase... Looks pretty good!

I've configured it as closely as possible to the V9 box and it seems to work perfectly, with one exception that's not a show-stopper: It looks like there's an incompatibility in the built-in 4600 graphics subsystem. When the "normal" graphics mode is selected at startup, it hangs at shut down or reboot. Selecting "safe" graphics avoids this problem at the expense of lower resolution. Also, in "normal" graphics mode the installation seems not to like display resolutions other than 1280 x 1024. (I didn't test other, lower-resolution monitors). For example, a 1440 x 900 monitor consistently resulted in a garbled display. Since 1280x1024 (or whatever it is in "safe" mode) is perfectly okay, I didn't pursue this issue further.

FWIW, I avoided using the onboard Realtek network adapter. I'm no masochist. The box has an Intel EXPI9402PT dual port PCIE card which works perfectly.

I found it interesting that SpeedStep is now enabled out-of-the-box, especially after all the anguish I caused here by suggesting enabling it a couple of years ago for V9. The 4590S sits idling happily at 800MHz until a load is thrown at it where it steps up to some higher speed. I have yet to catch it at its full nominal speed of 3GHz.

At idle or low loads, this system draws 24W out of the mains. It would be measurably less if the HDD were replaced by an SSD, but I'm not quite that brave yet. Is this version of Debian/Untangle any more SSD-friendly than Lenny/V9 was?

Overall, I'd have to rate this as a success.

Master Untangler

An afterthought on the graphics issue.... Just for kicks, I installed the current release of Debian to another disk, allowing it to set up the hardware to its defaults. The Intel 4600 graphics system works correctly with any monitor. There are no display glitches. There are no shutdown/reboot issues either.

That suggests to me that there's something in the current release of Untangle in the graphics area that might benefit from updating to whatever standard Debian is using now.

I officially support the use of Samsung SSDs of 120gb capacities and larger. The 3.2 kernel has TRIM support, and all the toys needed for SSDs to be happy, and if Untangle burns through 150+tb of writes it can have the SSD. But assuming it consumes drives at the same rate as when the SSDs were being snapped up like candy, that's still a 5-6 year drive.

So basically, a combination of more modern kernel + better SSDs I believe have solved the SSD problem. And that's before you consider Untangle's efficiency gains in this area.

Your experience with the graphics mirrors mine on any iSeries platform.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

That sounds promising alright. And you probably have Reports running on all your boxes, I'd assume. I don't need or use reports, at least so far in 6 (I think) years of use. I'd further assume that without Reports reporting, the writes to the disk are significantly reduced. Maybe I'll give it a try with one of the half-used SSDs I have sitting around here. Thanks for the tip.

Master Untangler

Try one of these, they have their own trim built in.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

or 28% over-provisioned

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/O..._6G/Enterprise

Just put a 120GB $74 version in my Sophos UTM 8 Core Rangley. Time will tell.

Last edited by blueshoes; 03-29-2015 at 12:01 PM.