Exclamation Calling Untangle Gurus To Review Untangle Build

I'm going to be building a firewall based around Untangle and I have a few questions.

The Purpose: This firewall (Untangle) box will be used like most firewalls for the DHCP and other security features. I'm looking to make my home network more secure and safe for everyone, and Untangle seems to fit the bill. The network setup is going to be a basic red and green interface.

*Modem*---R-E-D--->Untangle_Box---G-R-E-E-N------>Switch

I am planning to use these components

I have several questions about this setup

1. How good is the web filter? Does it block all content selected to be filtered? (In this case, mostly phishing sites and pr0n). This is on the top as the purpose of this project.
    2. Does Untangle have any issues with Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s (SATA2) Hard drives?
    3. Does Untangle support the Intel G31 chipset used in the motherboard above?

I'm sure I will have more questions as people reply, but this is what I have to start with. As far as the hardware goes, I'd like to stick with the selected parts. If there is anything you see as a potential threat or problem to the whole setup, please specify.

Thanks guys!

I have a server running now with the server version of that chipset without any problems so I don't see an issue with that mainboard.

The LAN card you have chosen I know works well it uses the e1000 driver that is built in. The onboard adapter I can't find any information on make/model so that one might give you grief. Have another adapter on standby just in case.

UT is ok with SATA as long as it isn't RAID, just go into the BIOS and make sure it's in IDE mode. It can work in RAID mode but not with that soft controller.

As for the filtering, it just works. It won't stop everything, nothing does.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the fast reply.

If the onboard NIC poses a potential problem, I'll just get two Intel NICs.

I'll make sure the Hard Drive settings are set correctly in the BIOS. Thanks for the heads up on that key point.

With the filtering, as long as most stuff is blocked, that's fine. I understand that everything cannot be blocked. I've worked on a network using a Sonicwall Firewall and it didn't block everything, but it did a pretty good job. Of course, Untangle > Sonicwall.

Untangle is Debian/Ubuntu, so if Ubuntu Gutsy works, it will. I have a very similar setup, and it works quite well. The E2180 is quite power efficient, and more powerful than I expected.